breatheable crib bumpers- worth the money?

my daughter is 6 months old. We don't have a crib bumper because of the risk of SIDS. However, for the past few nights she wakes up screaming because she's gotten her legs caught in between the bars. She hasn't gotten hurt from it, yet, but I'm scared that she will. I'm considering buying breathable crib bumpers that supposedly aren't a contributing factor to SIDS. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth the money?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 2:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have one I love it!! I was real worried about SIDS too, so our son has slept with us most of his life lol, but we've started him in his crib and I love it!!! I'm more secure knowing that even if the gets close he can still breathe and he can't get his legs through it! I love it!!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have never heard of them, my son is 1 month old and hasn't had any problem staying away from the sides of the cradle, we do however have a rolled up blanket on each side of him to keep him on his back (he HATES the crib wedge we bought).
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I put my DD in the crib when she was 6 months and I just used the regular bumper. She was fine. She could sit up and roll and all that so I wasn't too worried. I have actually never heard of those...just to let you know though mine still occasionally gets hers stuck in the rails WITH the bumper
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had a regular crib bumper pad with both of my children. Your baby's gonna keep going to the sides anyway. I would get something thats gonna keep her limbs in. Six Month babies move alot more than little babies. How much are the breathable pads?? I wouldn't go spending a million dollars just cause its breathable. You could also try draping big bed sheets over all the bars at night. Find away to drape them on the bars and secure them from being pulled down into the crib. That way you dont have to get a special bumper or a bumper at all if you dont want. Personally I dont see any problem with regular bumper pads for cribs.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• at 6 months old it isn't really worth it IMO pretty soon she will be starting to pull up and stand on things and they can really pose a hazard once the kids start standing up.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009