What do you think of after-school programs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's a great thing for the families that have to be at work. No child should be at home alone as a latch-key child. There are too many things that can go wrong.

But in truth, I wish they weren't necessary. I think every home should have 1 parent at home. It's sad that a family can no longer survive without 2 incomes. I think we need some changes in this country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I actually used to be the "teacher" of one. I worked at a church daycare that did a school age progam. They also do a summer program for those same age kids. I think you just have to find the right one, if its something you need. A lot of parents dont get off work till 5 or 5:30. So a lot of little ones are being left at home alone. I think they're good for that reason. But honestly if you can be home with your kids when they get out of school, I think thats the best situation.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Amanda thank you so much OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Our school has a great one. My son prefers to go to the afterschool program and play with his friends for a while after school even on the days that I am off work and he could take the bus home.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My son goes to one. We would prefer he didn't due to money but it isn't an option. He is 9 and the bus stop is a mile away. He is also an only child with not many kids in our neighborhood so it is his social time.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We could not have survived without one. My daughter made lifelong (I think, she will be 14 next week) friends and volunteers twice a week after school in the "homework room" at the afterschool program she attended.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• THEY ARE CRAP I THINK IT IS BAD ENOUGH OUR KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL 8 HOURS IN THE DAY ALREADY. PEOPLE YOU HAD THEM,,,,,,RAISE THEM
    2manylilboys

Answer by 2manylilboys at 9:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009