My daughter (8 months on the 28th) wakes up or she refuses to go to bed because I think she's having nightmares. She has a little incident when we took out the bumper that almost broke her leg (we put it back in) and after that she just screams her head off. We asked the dr and she told me babies don't dream (I know that's a lie) and that she's having separation issues. I know that's not true either because she never slept with us, I simply don't believe in it and why would it take her 7 months to build the separation issue? Does anyone else have any of these problems and if you do what do you do for your child?

Asked by Babyduche at 9:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son also had "nightmares" at a very young age. We put a dimmer light in his room and left the lights on, but on the darkest setting. Before bed, I also took him around his entire room and looked in every corner to help him know that there was nothing there. Closet drawer was closed, and all big toys were put away. I then assured him that if he was scared, I would be right in. If he did wake up, I would take him around his room again and show him there was nothing there and put him back in his crib. We worked up to a nightlight only, then to a dark room again. Good Luck!

Answer by Allison7777 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I did some research on nightmares and dreaming in babies because my son used to wake up screaming for seemingly no reason at all. apparently babies do have dreams and nightmares, so that could be your little one's issue. however, I have read that between 7-9 months is when babies start to have separation anxiety, so your doc might be right about that. my 7 month old is beginning to cry alot at night when I put him in his crib, so you're not alone. if it is separation anxiety, it'll get better pretty soon. it's just a phase.

Answer by sbailey at 11:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I do believe that your baby is dreaming and I think it isn't likely the cause of her being upset. She may need you to comfort her with word and touch in the night and then let her be to fall back to sleep. She will eventually be able to do it without your comforting if you do it less and less each night. I also recommend you find a doctor you are comfortable with. The one you have doesn't seem to talk to you as though she understands and leaves you really wondering. You don't seem to trust her answers. Wishing you and your child restful sleep.

Answer by manna1qd at 12:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2008