how do you get a two year old to stop biting?

my two year old just recently this week started biting... how do i get him to stop, spanking, and biting back doesnt work on him.. any suggestions would be great! thanks!

definedclefts

Asked by definedclefts at 2:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bit back. I didn't do it hard enough the first time and she bit again. I bit back harder and it was enough to cause tears but not enough to leave a mark and she hasn't bitten since. That was 3 mos ago when we were testing our teeth out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Biting back??? Really? Anyway, I would do the worst thing you can do to a toddler (in his/her mind anyway), take away their freedom! My little one HATES time outs b/c all she wants to do is run and play. So if I were in your shoes, I would be extremely consistant and give a time out every time he/she bites. Then I'd process w/ him/her afterwards about how it's not ok to bite and that it hurts their friends and family very much. Consistency is key though.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• we take our son to therapy (aspergers and adhd,, 4 yr old) and i asked her and she was the one who said bite back said some parents said it worked we tried it once but didnt bite hard enough to leave any marks, and he didnt like that but still bites.
    definedclefts

Answer by definedclefts at 3:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• bite back. Not enough to really hurt but to show her it does hurt.
    2manylilboys

Answer by 2manylilboys at 9:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009