Do locksmiths change/replace combination locks when you forget the code?

My kids all have locks from last year, and subsequently the years before that as well. Dumb me never thinks to write down the code in a book or planner so we're stuck with all these locks with forgotten combination's.
And now I have to go purchase new locks for this year... Any clue? Is it worth spending the money with a lock smith and reuse the locks or just buy new and send these to the landfill?? I really hate doing that.

Of course if we buy new I'm writing the codes down in my planner. = )

parrishsky

Asked by parrishsky at 2:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in

• probaly cheaper to just buy new locks...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yeah you're right. I have 7 locks and no clue what that will cost to change the codes. Oh well. Such is life~
    Thanks!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Just buy a new lock, they are under $5. If it is for school, just tell the school and they will provide a new one and charge $5 or so. My sons middle school does this and the kids CANNOT bring their own locks to school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The school should have a master list (this is why many schools no longer allow combination locks).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009