What do you think? (Abortion question)

I am posting Anon because the courts implimented a gag order and we are not allowed to talk about the case. I am not trying to be a troll...

My SIL was pregnant. Her baby had a very rare condition that stoped his lungs from forming properly and she was told that if she delivered he would have less than a 1% chance of actually living. She was told this early on (around the begining of her 2nd trimester) And she was urged to abort the baby.

She refused because she is pro-life 100%.

When she delivered the baby died. She then filed a malpractice suit because she said if the doctors knew there was a problem they should have been ready for it and fixed it as soon as the baby was born.

The doctors foght back and lost. She was awarded a VERY nice sum of money...

Now, I am pro-choice, but still don't agree w/Abortion. In this case though I think it was the right thing to do and she should have had no grounds for a suit!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP - Sorry, ran out of room...

Do you think that in this case she did the right thing by not aborting? And if so, do you think she did the right thing by sueing??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• why withhold care from any human the hypocratic Oathe! you are low!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• your nephew/niece died and you r jealous of the stinken money?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Id probably not have aborted(Im prochoice too)but I wouldnt have sued since I knew going in that the baby didnt really have much of a chance to survive.

I find it pointless and wont ease the pain of loss by suing anyone. She knew that baby wouldnt really have a chance to live, the drs told her that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Also how did she know that the doctors didn't do everything they could. Where they not able to prove it or what? I think it was her decision to not abort but to Sue them wasn't right either. they warned her wasn't that enough.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I don't think she would have won the case unless she could prove that there was something that the doctors could have done, but they didn't do it. If they didn't have any thing ready to support the life of the baby because they just figured it would be dead or it would die, that is wrong. They should make every effort, until the life is gone.

If they had done everything possible, the doctors would have been able to win the case since they warned her of the child's condition in the very beginning.

I personally think that she has every right to carry the baby to term, whether it is going to die or not. But I don't know enough about what happened in the delivery room to tell you if she had grounds for the suit.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Ok, I'm a little confused. Did the doctors actually TRY to do anything,or did they just say "hey,this baby's gonna die anyway,let's just let him go"? If they did try to do something, I don't think they should have been sued. I am 100% pro-life, no exceptions. think everyone deserves a chance to be born, even if they die at birth. That's up to God, not us to decide. I'm really not trying to upset you,but that's my own personal belief.However, I really don't think she should have filed a lawsuit, knowing going in what was going to happen.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We are a sue happy society.
    Very little accountability.
    While I do not agree with abortion, etc, this is not the case here. She is blaming the Dr.s for some thing she fully knew was a risk of happening. Even if they did try there is no guarantee the Doc's could have fixed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• 1% chance of surving and she sued the doctors!
    just one example of what is wrong with US healthcare
    i feel for her loss but she should not of sued
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It doesn't sound like she should have sued, but maybe there could have been more to it. I think it was right to carry to term.
    I don't think the OP is jealous of the money. That's a bit of a leap from what she typed.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 3:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2009