What are you means for finding a job....

I have been out of work for almost two months, I have kids and their father is helping out a lot but is growing tired. I have submitted resumes to every website on earth. Where do you go from here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would go in to local businesses and fill out an application/drop off resume. Ask at that time if you can set up an interview. I think it works better than sending stuff in online depending on the type of work that you do.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Also tell everyone you know that you are looking for work and ask if they have heard of anything..in the meantime offer to babysit of clean houses to make some money. Word of mouth usually works good.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would probably search for a job to get at least for the time being, something like an hourly position somewhere. Anything beats nothing
    sexyredz

Answer by sexyredz at 4:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others.
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Looking for a job is a full time job, and sometimes you need to be creative and design your own job.
    Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, in addition to coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.

And feel free to join the Job Hunting Moms Group

• I would suggest that you register with places such as your local unemployment office, and other employment agencies around. The companies who seek their help are looking for "good" employees, not the first person to walk thru their door. If the agencies have your information on hand, they can match you up and refer you to that company.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I know exactly what you're going through. I've been laid off since last Nov. and I have submitted countless number of resumes on online sites like CareerBuilders and have heard NOTHING!!!!

Here's a video .... Have PhD ... will work for food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB2ce87Wrh0

Good Luck!!!!

Beth

http://4yourfamily.org/teamwork

4yourfamily

Answer by 4yourfamily at 12:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2009