TB TEST?

My son's daycare is recommending a TB test. Is this necessary? Is it common in los angeles, ca? Is the TB test safe for a 2 year old? Has anyone done this that doesn't vaccinate? Or has anyone had reactions to it?

stummegirl

Asked by stummegirl at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Health

• The TB test is safe for you son and it is usually required for places who look after a large number of people or children. He will just get the stamp I believe cause he is a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• TB is common anywhere, and yes it is safe, daycare or even schools in my area to not require a TB test but I have to have one yearly for my job. The high school has had several outbreaks tho and has to check all the kids, several times over the years...If he is negative for TB, he will not have a reaction, a positive reaction is greater than 7mm I think is the right measurement. They take a very small syringe and put the solution right under the skin and it will make a bubble at first, he will go back 2 days later for it to be checked. If nothing is there he is negative. Oh and it really doesnt hurt either because it just goes under the skin...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anon, tell me about the stamp...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• A TB test is very safe. The nurse will use a syrigne to put some liquid just under the skin (it doesn't hurt) and a bubble forms. You go back after 2 days to have the nurse look at it. If there is no redness or swelling, your child is fine. If there is, they will do xrays to see if he does have TB. The only time there is a reaction is if the person tests positive for TB. There are no other side affects and this is the first step in finding out if someone has TB or is a carrier of it. If the daycare is asking for the test, there may be someone in the center (child or adult) that tested positive and they are just being cautious.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009