baby took a swan dive off the bed

My almost 11 month old ds fell head first off the bed, yes I was watching him within arms reach, no I didn't get there fast enough, yes I already feel like the worst mom ever, so no bashing. now that that's out of the way, he has a huge bruise forming on his head, I gave him a little tylonol, put ice on it as much as he would let me, put some calendula cream on it, is there anything else I can do? He has been back to himself, maybe a little more fussy and clingy then usual, any symtoms I should watch out for that would require a doc visit?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep him awake a few hours and make sure his pupils are the same size, is he acting okay?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Do not put ice on a babies head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• call your doctor and ask, let them know how far the fall was and what the material on the floor is
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• do not let him go too sleep for at least 4 hrs do too possible concussion and no u are not a bad mom these things happen i remember when my daughter was that little i was sitting on my bed talking too my mom and she crawled over and went too pull her self up too stand using my bed and before we could get too her she slipped and caught the bed frame right in her face had a nice black eye for days well she is now 5 and just fine still getting bumps and all its just what kids do but do watch him no sleeping if he starts too vomit get him too the er but other wise ice ever so often
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 3:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Mine's the same age and she wipes out on a daily basis. You've got to move with the speed of a gazelle to keep up with them.

I say call and ask the ped. As for the bruise, as odd as this sound, my grandma swears putting mentholatum on a bump keeps it from bruising. She claims it worked on us as kids, but I've never tried it.

Hope your little one heals up quick.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Babies this age take falls. Hard as we try, we cannot prevent them all. No bashing here Mamma. Keep a good eye out and make sure that baby is acting as they normally would. Call the ped and describe the situation, type of fall, height of fall, and what the bump looks like. They will tell you to come in if it sounds concerning and anything other symptoms that you should watch for. Hope your little one feels much better soon.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 3:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009