cervical question..plz respond!

ok so friday, i went to the hospital thinking i was in labor, well i was barely dialated to 1cm and 0% effaced,i was still really thick and hard, well on tuesday i went to my doctors appointment and he checked me and i was 2cm and 60% effaced! in like 3 days i went from barely 1cm/0% to 2cm/60%....so how fast do you think it will take me to go into labor? im 39wks and my doctor says that if i make it past friday he will induce me monday,im just wondering if i mite go into labor this week,ive been trying everyting including sex! but everytime me and the hubby have sex aftwerwards i get escruitiating cramps on my back and sides and inside my vagina! sorry for the tmi but i was curious

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You don't need to be induced.

The effacement and dialation really mean nothing honestly. You can walk around effaced and dialated for days or weeks. Other women don't dialate at all until the last moments of labor. All of that is normal. You can go into labor now, tomorrow, the next day, or not for a another couple of weeks.

DO NOT let your doctor induce you if you can help it. Inductions come with risks and consqueances. If you insist on getting induced or agree to it at LEAST make sure your doctor evaluates your readiness for labor by using the "Bishop Score". If your score is low you are likely to have serious problems with the induction. Please, do research on what to expect if you get induced. And at all cost DO NOT let the doctor use Cytotec/Misoprostol -- that drug is very dangerous and NOT approved for use on pregnant women.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• At 40 weeks I was 2 cm and like 30%; 40 weeks and three days, I was 4 cm and 70%. Baby will come when baby wants to come :-p Mine was 5 days late...of all the nerve!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Why does he want to induce? Babys can safely go 2 weeks past due before induction as the due date can be off by 2 weeks.
    As for when will baby come...that's up to nature and the baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It sounds like you might go this week :) But it's hard to say. Some people will dilate like that and then it just freezes in time and they end up getting induced, while others will go fast. Hopefully you will go fast! Just do what you normally do, walk more often and try and keep your mind off it. (: Good luck! Your baby will be here soon!!
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh, and one more thing. Unless your baby and body is ready for labor (there are hormones the baby secretes when it is time and your body responds with its own hormones) the induction methods aren't going to work. Relax, be patient, rest, focus on calmness. The more relaxed and well rested you are the better. Your body knows what to do without any input from the conscious brain. All you are doing is stressing yourself out. Stress is not good for labor.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• So you aren't even due yet and he's already talking induction!?!? Let me tell you inductions SUCK. They hurt, your stuck in bed, and did I mention it hurts...LOL...well it does. I induced my first cause my water broke and they lied to me saying it was necessary. I induced my second (I was stupid and ignorant) but it caused the baby's heart rate to do crazy things. They turned the pit off and my contractions continued on their own with no problem. I went all natural with my third and it was amazing. Practically pain free. But very intense. Oh and yeah just to let you know cm and effacement mean absolutely NOTHING. And that time you went to the hospital thinking you were in labor...well that is called prodromal labor. It acts like real labor and it kind of is. It is practice labor. Usually experiencing this means that when labor time actually gets here it is REALLY quick. But if you induce it won't be easy by any means.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 3:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• the 20th?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you trust your doctor do the induction after you've been informed of all the risk/complications blah blah blah which come with childbirth anyway. It's hard to say when exactly because everyone's body is different. As is everyone's threshhold for pain so don't let the "induction hurts" scare you either. Been thru induction, natural, and c-section myself and neither one hurt more or less than the other two. After 40 weeks you start playing a waiting game that can be dangerous. The placenta begins to die and not function properly. The baby is more likely to have a bowel movement in utero and that in itself poses a risk and need for antibiotics upon birth. So those are a couple things to consider also. I'm not going to tell you induction is bad/evil because it's not. If you trust your doctor go with his/her decision. Either way baby will be here soon. And either way you will have certain risks you need to be aware of.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The placenta does NOT begin to die after the 40 week mark just because. The vast majority of pregnancies do fine to 42 weeks. If gestation lasts longer than that they can easily monitor health of the baby and the state of the placeta to be sure it is functioning properly while they wait. If there are ways to detect placenta problems post dates but again that isn't even a concern until AFTER 42 weeks. Remember, a lot of dating can be off. A woman can easily be two weeks earlier in gestation than they think.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I got induced 40w 1day. My daughter came out just fine. the only thing was she had jaundice. but at birth she weighed 9LBS 8oz..so of course i wanted to be induced so she would get to big where i would have to have a csection. i did not want that. so i think it just depends on how big the doc thinks baby will be. and my daughter had jaundice bcuz of how big she was.
    AHall08

Answer by AHall08 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009