milk

i can't get my 1 yr old to drink milk any suggestions???

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 3:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My girl wouldn't drink whole milk but she would drink 2%. I wouldn't give flavored milk (chocolate strawberry). Try carnation milk or pediasure.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I keep hearing that technically milk isn't THAT important. my son wouldn't drink milk once we stopped the bottle - it took about 4 months til he decided he would. At first I would warm it up cause he didn't like cold drinks being used to a warm bottle. You could try mixing chocolate in it? make sure she has correct daily nutrients and the lack of milk would be substituted.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Try mixing it half and half with formula or breast milk (whichever you did) until he/she gets used to the taste...also warming it helps
    afbelle021

Answer by afbelle021 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't add chocolate, I really don't think that is good at such a young age. I would mix it with 1/2 formula or bm and then slowly start making it with less of the formula or bm. You could also add a little honey (if they are over 1) and warming the milk.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• When my LO has trouble taking her milk I had 2 small drops of chocolate to it. I won't do pediasure or boost b/c it is so sweet. but 2 small drops of chocolate will encourage her enough to drink it. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If he'll eat cheese, yogurt, etc. don't worry to much about the milk (that's what our pediatrician told us). Keep trying it and eventually he may start drinking it. It's fairly common for babies just switching from bottles to cup and formula to milk to not want the milk. Most eventually get there.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• just make sure that he is getting plenty of fluids and dairy in other places in his diet. You cant force him to like milk but keep offering it!
    Good luck!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Don't force her. She can drink water. She can get good fats from avocado, tofu, yogurt, flax oil, etc. She can get calcium from dark leafy green, chickpeas, etc. Here is a great article from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine on building strong bones: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009