I am 18 weeks pregnant, I want to get a job so I can get my own apartment soon. I just dont know what type of work i should be looking into. Any advice??

littlemamma539

Asked by littlemamma539 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Think about your skills and any limitations that may exist due to your pregnancy. If you can't come up with something you might try going to a temp agency - they will ask you questions about your skills and maybe have you do a few tests. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• hi!!
    Im 21 1/2 wks and i havent been able to go to college (like Ive wanted) because of finances and Ive never really been a "kids" kind of person but a friend of mine works for the school district in my area and told me to go apply (i have, got the job and everything)

now I will be working in different school offices, helping out the staff, being a teacher assistant, and just racking up the hours...

I will get maternity leave, insurance, and start putting hrs/yrs away for "retirement"

I dont know how you'd feel about that, but it's an idea.. and it beats workin in a restraunt, or somewhere where its just a dead end job and you wont be able to get anywhere

-good luck! and i hope everything works outs for you
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 3:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Be careful when looking for a job... If you mention being pregnant (and while it is illegal) alot of places won't hire you because of it.

Hell, I lost a really good job because I was pregnant.. even though they claimed it was for some other reason (actually, they had 3 different stories as to why they were letting me go).

Temp agency would probably be a good idea since you will only be able to work so many months before having your baby. Good luck in the job search!
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The important thing you should know is FMLA will not protect your job until you have been there one year and worked 1250hrs. This doesn't mean they will fire you when you come back from maternity leave but by law they don't have to save your job for you.
    My friend was 20 weeks prego when she got hired at a retail job.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you don't mind doing office type work then I would suggest doing something to that nature. Right now I am 37 weeks and I am still working. I work in an office as an admin assistant. Its easier because you would be behind a desk and you don't have to be on your feet all day. And I have found that having a job keeps me from thinking about all the little things that could happen and also at this point in the pregnancy it keeps me from be more anxious for him to come. I know that if I wasn't still working I would just be sittin at home wanting to go into labor. Good luck!
    Randa09

Answer by Randa09 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Retail is also fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• try for anything that you're willing to do! but i def agree with PP saying not to mention you're prego 'til you get the job. wear a dress that doesn't really show your tummy if you're showing a good amount or just try to look fat instead of prego. they can't ask/say anything about it at an interview, it's unprofessional and has nothing to do with the interview, so just don't mention it. i just got hired at old navy & told them my first day that i'm pregnant & they were fine with it.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I found out I was pregnant while I was looking for jobs too. I was about 12 weeks trying to find a new job. I decided to tell the places that I really liked. If something looked promising, and it was a really good job, I told them upfront. Because I didn't want to come off dishonest. Get the job, and start working, then two weeks later, be like O yea. Guess what!
    I don't think the question is what can you do, it should be what do you want to do? Obvisouly I wouldn't recomend being a maid or working in a chem. lab or anything. But a lot of places will work with you as you get farther along.
    Good luck!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009