What exactly does a Godparent do?

I mean what are they required to do as for the child that they baptized?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Help direct the child in life, promise to be there for them, and if the parents pass they are to be their guardians. Atleast that is what my parents told me
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I thought they would step in and perhaps assume many of the responsibilities of mommy and daddy if say something were to happen to them. Take the children if there are no other relatives to take them, or even if there is to help finacially and what not.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It varies depending on who ya talk to. To some, it's a religious thing & they are supposed to help raise the child in that religion.

As for me - I have 4 God-kids. None of them are baptized (as far as I know) and their religion in thier business. I, as God mother, am supposed to raised the kids should anything happen to their mom.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• after they are baptized they just help them if they need help, be there for them, an as pp said if the parents pass away they are the ones to take care of them until they are 18
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 3:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• They don't do the baptizing... they stand by with the parents and witness the baptism done by a priest.
    It depends on how "hardcore" you are.
    Generally, a godparent is someone who helps their godchildren with the guidance of learning the Lord and the religious aspects of the Catholic beliefs. They provide a "counseling" role to them. Sometimes, if the parents are to pass away - the role to raise them falls upon them - but that's an individual case-by-case type agreement.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My son's godparents were there for the baptism and due to living so far away they are godparents in name only.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Godparents only become guardians in the case of both parents passing away if they agree specifically to that and I imagine it would have to be in a Will or something along those lines. Godparents aren't automatically the caregivers if the parents pass just because they are the Godparents. The role specifically as a religious one is to be there, whether the parents are alive or not, to make sure the children are being raised in the Church and to give guidance along those lines and that sort of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My childrens Godparents are *NOT* the people that will get her if we die. That is not the case anymore, it used to be. Unless you want it like that. But if you chose someone as Godparent you don't have to chose them as someone to raise them.

For us, it was people who would guide them spiritually along the way, help out with their religious education and experience.

Unfortunately we picked my MIL for my daughter, who did a 180 on us and now we've cut her out of our lives. But she still has a very devoted uncle who is an awesome Godparent.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 3:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had an awesome Godmother,which made me an awesome Godmother to 4, for me ,a Godmother is to support the spiritual needs of,she is supposed to be there for the child,this does not include spending money,I do give out gifts,my oldest godchild is 33 year old,her mother have never asked me for money. Also, this is very important,being Godparents is more of a spiritual thing then LEGAL,unless you have it documented in a will and on court papers, you child CAN NOT be given to the Godparents,if,you want the Godparents to take custody of your child or children in the untimely death of both parents,please get a will,and a lawyer. Also,if you have more than i child,do they have the same Godparents,if something happens,I quite sure you don't want your kids to be splitted up,so,when picking Godparents,and Guardians,make sure you know it's 2 different things and only Guardianship holds up in courts. I do hope I was some help.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you're not Catholic, I have no idea. In the Catholic Church, you are councelled on what to do.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009