Pox Parties: Have you been to one or would you take your kids to one?

Why or why not? And are your kids vaxed against it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are not vaxed against it. If we had a friend whose children were infected, I would expose them to it so they would acquire the immunity naturally. It is safer if they catch it as children, and if they haven't caught it as they near puberty I will reevaluate getting the vaccine at that time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i have no clue what it is
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Mine weren't and they got the chicken pox..and we did it on purpose. My girlfriends 2 kids had them so we got it over with in one swoop.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

where in the world do you find a pox party?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No, I haven't.

No, I wouldn't.

I just feel there's something fundementally wrong with purposefully making a child ill.

Three are, one is not.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My kids will never get the chicken pox vaccine but i don't plan on taking them to a pox party either. My oldest was exposed to it but didn't get it so going to a pox party is not a guarantee that your child will get it at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My dd didnt get the vaccine because she got the chicken pox at 7 months, it was not on purpose and we still dont know where she was exposed to it at, since she is not in daycare or anything. I would never make my child sick on purpose and I actually read in a magazine awhile ago about how bad it is to do those parties, I cant remember the exact reasons but I know it isnt as safe as everyone seems to think it is and alot of those children end up in the hospital because the chicken pox can get very bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We had on last month. My son got them from a park from a little boy. The mom called me later to apologize. You really don't know they are contagious until it is too late. We invited friends and family to bring their kids over. My kids got them over with and now have an immunity. My husband and I were around them so we get that boost from being exposed to the virus to keep us from getting shingles down the road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I tried to have my kids get them naturally..my older ones, but they never caught them, so when they were older (10-11) I had them vaxed, the older they get the more dangerous they can become so I figured why take the risk. This is my plan for all of them but so far no one seems to catch them, so I think in the end they will all be vaxed.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

we never know anyone with chicken pox to catch it from, but i do get scared my kids vaxes will wear off when they are teens and they'll get really sick!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009