What are some discipline tactics that work for you (other than time-out)?

Just looking for other ideas than the typical time out for discipline - one area that I get easily frustrated with, especially with my 4 yr old.

Melspaz

Asked by Melspaz at 3:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I'm fed up with his behavior, I take away his special privileges (going to the pool, having computer or tv time, etc.) from my 4 yo. Also, I tell him how his misbehaving makes me and his dad feel and he understands and apologizes.
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Spankings.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• With my son (almost 3) I take away his computer time or cars, his 2 faviorate activies, for 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour, time left before nap or bed time...... we always have a talk about his behavior or activity that he is doing wrong (generally this is pushing his almost 3 year old sister). I have also used counting to 1...2....3 with a swat to follow (tatic that my mom used)... but not generally unless it is a last resort (when nothing else is working) but both my kids know not to push me to 3, it doesn't take too long for them to understand that one...
    kittyh

Answer by kittyh at 6:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We take away toys or privileges. I will ask them (2 and 4 years old) to do something. If they don't then they get the counting to 3 and if they still don't then I tell them they will lose a certain toy or priviilege and if they still don't then they lose that thing. Typically by the time I hit 2 they are doing what they were asked, but if they are over tired or something then I may end up taking away toys. The important thing is to follow through. If you say you won't go to the park then don't go to the park. I don't like taking away things like that unless BOTH kids are misbehaving because in essence you are punishing both kids. If DH is home I will leave the one misbehaving behind and take the other one and that really gets the message across. I don't use time outs often unless they clearly need to calm down about something.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2009