My son is on formula the one for gas and fussy babies and while feeding he will put his legs up like it hurts his tummy...Does it?

He always seems to have an upset tummy he is 4 months old after eating. Should I change his formula to soy ( I can't drink cow milk it really hurts my tummy too.) Not sure if that effects him. He has been one this pre digested formula since 1.5 months so should I leave it? Help I don't want him to feel icky!!!

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 3:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 7months old and we tryed everything with him for the first 2.5 months of his life. and nothing worked. so we went to soy... then he was all better... so when he was 6 months we tryed the one that is cloest to milk and same thing gass. so we went back to soy and hes all better..

the same thing happened to my 3 yr old when she was a baby... soy all the way till she was 12 months and was able to have whole milk.. same thing... gass so we went to silk milk.. and she was better...

when i was a baby i was the same way... but i was on gotts milk... soo... you tummy getting upset to milk... has could have something to do with it too....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It might be that he is - or he just has gas still.
    Those formulas didn't really help my son - the Mylicon gas drops did.
    And if you are lactose intolerant, your son has a 50/50 chance that he is as well.
    Talk with your doctor and maybe you can experiment with a soy based formula to see if he does that.

But if he's not crying afterwards or anything - just curling his legs up... he might just be doing that... curling his legs. My son used to drink formula and curl his legs up - straighten them out and slam it down on the floor. lol. Just something to occupy himself with while eating.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You could always try and see how he reacts to a different formula if he seems to be in a lot of pain. What was he on before this formula and how did he react to it? You could try relactating as well, it comes easier for some moms then others. I hope he gets to feeling better.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 4:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• He will drink like 2-3 oz then cry but he is still hungry he will suck twice then cry. It's sad. He has been on gas drops since 2 weeks. He still is on them, however I was told by a bunch of people 4 months and on babies really should't have gas and shouldn't have to be on gas med regularly and should be able to drink out of any bottle not only the colic reducing ones. I'm to scared to stop giving him med and give him other bottles than Dr. brown even though I have a ton of different ones. He burps real good but is a gassy boy. The dr. even said he only needs the gas med til he is 4 months and he is 4 months today!!!
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• One must always remember formula is a medical man made intervention. While it is tolerable it can be hard for a child to digest. As a pp suggested there is always the choice of relactating or donor milk. Good Luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Relactating? How do you do that???
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• How to relactate http://www.artofbreastfeeding.com/?p=24 SNS http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/52/starter-supplemental-nursing-system-sns “The SNS is filled with formula and worn suspended from a necklace device. Thin silicone feeding tubes are taped to the nipple, and the baby drinks formula while breastfeeding. This device provides sucking stimulation for the breasts while ensuring that the baby gets enough to eat.”    

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• so what i was trying to say was try changing his formula... as his doc for a sample just to see how he does....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Hey may just have gas...try gripe water to relieve it. If that doesn't work then try changing the formula. Speak with the pediatrician about it.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009