How to get 6 month old to sleep earlier

I have a 6 month old baby boy who refuses to sleep until mindnight or 1 in the morning. Then, he wakes up again at 3 for a little while and finally stays asleep until 7 or 8 in the morning. I really want him to sleep earlier, at least at 9 so that my husband and I can have some us time. What can I do? The CIO method does not work for us. He cries for longer than 40 minutes that I just get tired hearing him cry and get him out of his crib.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 4:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to start with readjusting his naps. Yes you need you time but if he isn't sleeping any more than 5 hours at a time then he isn't ready to sleep through the night. Make sure his last nap stops about an hour before it usually stops. He will probably be crankier during this process. Make sure that he readjusts okay and repeat until you get him going to bed at a reasonable time that works for you and hubby. I wish you luck, mine has been sleeping 12 hours through since about 12 weeks old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would lie down with him for a few nights with the lights out in my bed. If he wanted to get up to play, I would feed or pat and tell him that it's bedtime, and usually they get bored and go to sleep. ;) If you wanted to sneak out after that it (hopefully) wouldn't be too hard. I have a box fan running during naps and bedtime to block out some noise.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 4:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• There's no easy solution, you just have to start the routine when you want and deal with him fussing until he gets it. My DD would go to bed at like 1am, until she was about 8 wks. I decided that it was way too late for a baby. She had an inclination to nap around 5:00pm, so I jumped on that opportunity to make it bedtime. I started bathing her and readying her for bed. I consistently started at the same time and would put her down to sleep by 7 or 8, never varying from that schedule. Eventually she got it, but of course there was crying and we did let her. We would go in every 10-20 mins. to soothe her. Now she goes to bed by 8pm at the latest! good luck.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The nap thing is big...try not to let your baby sleep any more past 5 or 6 pm. Start a bedtime routine 1 hour before you want them to go to sleep. This routine should be in a quiet room (preferably their bedroom or crib) with the lights dim. It might include quiet play, massage, book reading, bath, quiet songs, nursing/bottle, and/or rocking until they go to sleep. If all your evening activities are in a loud environment with bright light and lots of loud, fun play time then it takes them a while to calm down for bed so that's why it's important to get them in a quiet, dark environment for a while before you want them to go to sleep. You could also try to put your baby to sleep 15 minutes earlier each day until you get them to sleep at the time you want. Maybe a combination of those things will work for you!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009