can toddlers wear belts?

I got my son some pants which are a little big on him, can I make him a belt? or should I sew on a drawstring in front of the snap? I ask this because i've never really seen a toddler wear a belt lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They sell toddler sized belts. I have been meaning to pick one up for my son, as well. I wouldnt think you would cinch it on that tight...only tight enough to be like a regular pair of pants.

Although, I did just find out that two of my son's pairs of shorts that have been so big this summer have the elastic and button on the inside of the waist line. (should have checked much earlier! LOL) Make sure your child's pants dont already have that before getting a belt! ;)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Toddlers - and kids younger than 7 or 8, if they're healthy - are shaped like you were shaped when you were pregnant: in order to hold up your pants, a belt would have to be cinched pretty tightly. ... And you DON'T want to be pinching their tummy-organs during this time of exponential growing - think about it for a minute: the digestion NEEDS to be in high gear, LOTS of food needs to be processed, and a tight belt is going to restrict that.

Before the arrival of "Calvin Klein for kids" and other fashion lines for younger and younger consumers, kids ALWAYS wore overalls, or else had clip-on suspenders to hold up pants that were not designed for children's needs.

I heartily recommend avoiding clothes which are tight on your child.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• well it's not gonna be tight of course..I just wanna keep his pants up and belts are known to do that...... one of many options but I thought i'd just ask =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My Dd is on the smaller side. We use safety or diaper pins to hold the pants up. I just leave them in and the next time I put them on her we are ready to go. I have a 16 1/2 pound 13 mo old. She is short and skinny.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i was thinking about safety/diaper pins, but i'm sketchy! I'd hate for it to unlatch and poke my son. he's got a buddha belly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 2 yr old. I solved it by buying pants with stretchy waists but I had the same question about belts. One thing to try would be to make a belt out of wide, stretchy material. They have the same thing for adults. That would hold up the pants without being too tight around the middle. It would also give as the child moves around (much like the elastic waist.

If you're looking Children's Place makes pants with elastic waists for toddlers that aren't sweatpants.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Childrens suspenders!
    http://www.suspenderstore.com/kidssuspenders.html
    nessa4555

Answer by nessa4555 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• suspenders are a freakin awesome idea!!!they would look so cut!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Have you tried the pants that have adjustable waistbands? I believe Old Navy and Target have them, and I'm sure other stores too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• actually my son has one pair of pants with an adjustable waistband, inside the pants. that would also be a great idea! I may have some stretch pants laying around in my fabric pile and I could just remove the elastic, and I havemany buttons! thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009