My 2 month old son burrows when he sleeps...normal?

He has to have his face smashed up against something...like the bumpers in his crib, the side of his swing or even the side of my breast under my arm. Is this normal? I am scared he will suffocate himself because he doesn't roll over yet. However, someone told me it shows he is trying to roll over. Does that sound right?

MamaOfCorbin

Asked by MamaOfCorbin at 4:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup. Well.. i don't know the rolling over part.
    My son still does that and he's 14 months.
    He wraps himself up in his blanket like a cocoon - and no, he has not suffocated... It's a very loose crocheted blanket. It's like telling me he'll suffocate in a fish net.

Or he sleeps burrowing his face in his crib.

His dad is the same way - they're both weird! :D
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• gently stroke his feet to make him stir or just readjust him to breathe better. he's just cuddling in to the mama smell from being in you. But its the real world now and he's gotta breathe on his own.

HE SOUNDS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• IDK if it is normal, but my son did it! I was always scared to fall asleep while I was nursing because he would burrow his head deep under my arm. I also suggest taking the bumper out of his crib and don't have any pillows, blankets, or stuffed toys in the crib. We took my sons out early for that very reason. He prob. won't roll over for a little while, but I felt as soon as my son was more mobile I was less nervous. Just be careful I did some research on it and the concern isn't neccessairly suffication because if he is out of air we will generally move. The concern is breathing in too much CO2. When you breathe out you breath out CO2 and when a little one puts their face in such a tight place their CO2 doesn't filter into the air it gets trapped in that little place and they end up breathing too much back in and they don't realize it.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my son didnt burrow, BUT he had to have a blanket over his head! and not just a lil light airy blanket, it was those thick soft kind....it was like covering a bird cage haha....but he did just fine with it. he's 8 months now, and still wants those soft blankies, even in the middle of the summer.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My daughter does that too. she sleeps in a pak-in-play and she turns on her side and points her nose up and pulls the blanket over her head, so she wakes up with her little feet all cold, but we've tried breaking her of it, by having her sleep w/out a blanket but we just gave up cuz she would find a corner and hide her face in the corner, lol idk y she still does it, she's going on 10months, lol maybe its just something babies do now adays. =D
    Wife_Mommy_18

Answer by Wife_Mommy_18 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009