My little fella will not quite throwing things!!

My little boy is 31 months old. He has developed a habit of throwing his toys when he gets mad. Has anyone else had this pproblem? Any ideas how to make him stop? I did put him in time out this mornig and it worked. But I just want some more advice please. THanks for your positive input.

ellies3boys

Asked by ellies3boys at 4:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it worked then keep using it. Otherwise he is capable of learning that Mommy will take the toys away if he keeps it up. I take my LO's toys when she throws them. I give her 2 warnings and tell her if she does it again then I take the toy. She is learning that I follow through on my word.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If timeouts work, go with it. I've had limited success with timeouts but I do the same thing as coala. A couple of warnings and I confiscate the toy. Some days I have quite a pile by the end of the day! You might also try giving him toys that he can throw. I always have soft balls in the house and lots of balls outside. The other thing to try is simply diffusing the anger. Try redirecting his attention in circumstances when he's likely to throw. That won't always works but it can help.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Just be consistant with your punishment and your son will learn! Time outs are also very effective for me...or like an above poster mentioned, take the toy away for a certain amount of time.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Thanks so much!! You ladies have a wonderful evening!!
    ellies3boys

Answer by ellies3boys at 4:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009