carseats

when can you put baby in a convertible carseat? n how long till they can face the front?

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most infant car seats are good up to 20lbs, I think. But rear-facing is best up until 40lbs!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Rear-facing carseats ARE infant carseats...aren't there? :/
    Mine was good up until he was 35 lbs or a certain height. I can't remember now.
    But I switched my son to a convertible seat as soon as his legs were scrunched in his infant car seat.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Well yes, all infant car seats are rear-facing. But you can also get the convertible car seats as rear-facing, which are better!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• when my little girl was 20lbs i put her facing front... has long as they have all conrtol of there head and sit great.. then i dont see a problem...
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 4:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• An infant can ride in a convertible seat RFing from birth if the straps are low enough and even or slightly below the shoulders. The law is that a child can be turned FFing at 1 year and 20lbs, though its recommended by every carseat manufacturer to RF to the maximum of the seat by height and weight. AAP recommends RF to atleast 2 years old and 30lbs. A child under the age of 2 is 5 times safer RFing.
    heres info for you so you can make an informed decision
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
    http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm

Dayna-the law is 1 year AND 20lbs in the US in every state, its not about head control its about spine development, in an accident a young childs head is thrown forward and the neck can seperate from the spine...internal decapitation. I knew an 18 month old that was 27 lbs and died because of FFing in a 30 MPH crash...properly in her carseat.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You can use a convertible now, if you'd like, but RF only until at LEAST 12 mos and 20 lbs, preferably until 35 lbs. You CAN turn forward at 12 mos and 20 lbs, but you don't HAVE to. Studies show it's safer to rear face longer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• we just got a convertible seat for my 9 month old, we got it about a month ago. his infant carrier was getting too heavy for me to carry, i plan on rear facing as long as possible though! GL!
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You can put a baby in a convertible seat at any time... they never have to be placed in an infant carrier.
    As far as facing front they by law have to be 1 year AND 20 pounds.... but it's not safe at all to do that early. The AAP says children should rear face to the MINIMUM of 2 years or until they outgrow the convertible seat which for most is 35-40 lbs(meaning they should as long as possible)
    It doesn't matter how well a child can hold their head up or if they are "strong" it has nothing to do with how safe they are forward facing. A child's spine is not mature enough until they are 2 years old to forward face safely... and EVERYONE is safer rearfacing... even adults.
    Please do research on rear facing before you flip your child around at a year... keep your baby safe.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009