If you're daughter ...

If you're daughter had a tag on her rear ( a tag is an extra piece of skin near the anus) would you get it removed so she is not self concience when she is an adult and at a time in her life where this could cause her embarrasement with her partner? My husband thinks if it grown any bigger we should have it removed, but I kind of wonder if we should go ahead and do it now- she is 4.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would let her make the decision when she is older. I have one and it never cause me any embarrassment but to be fair it is pretty small.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you plan on doing it, then I would do it now when she doesnt really understand and feel self concience.
    Anonymous

• I think Id wait and let her decide when she's older. You never know, she may not find it embarrassing(unless she grows up with others commenting about it and making her self-concious vs not making it a big deal at all).

So Id just wait and see what she wants to do when she's a teen.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would not get it surgically removed, if it is not, health wise bothering her. If she wants it removed she can do it when she is grown. Maybe that will stop her from taking her pants off. (having sex at an early age).

Answer by louise2 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• op here- she does not even know she has it and we have never spoken about it. I have Chrohn's issues and a tag can be something that as an adult you can have but hers has been from birth so the ped. said to not worry about it until it grows, I just know how hard it is to be a woman in general and the last thing I wan't to do is to add to the hardship...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• op--it sounds like you want to have the surgery. I would remove it if you are concerned about it---the younger the better to take care of these things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• op here- I just looked up some stories about removal and found one that said a woman who had it removed could not have a bm without biting on a towel due to the incredible amount of pain after the surgery- nevermind- I can't do it- not worth it at this point
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I say remove it now, while shes too young to remember!
    jchris

Answer by jchris at 7:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OP, look into it a little more before making a decision. An adult having surgery will have different reactions to it than a small child. I'm not saying to do it, just don't take an adult's affects as being the same for a child.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• it would depend. a younger child's skin heals faster and better...but an older person may be better able to care for an area more prone to infection (where the tag is) I'm pretty sure the procedure is very simple and in-office, so I'm not super worried about pain/trauma issues. I would talk to her ped. and if it involves minimal care, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd wait three or four more years until she'll be able to care for it while it heals. Its really considerate of you to think about her adult needs as a child!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009