should we punish my dd if she pees her bed?

my dd is 3 yrs old and she is potty trained all the way... well this morning she peed her bed right when she woke up... she got up and just peed on her bed... my bf wanted to punish her because she knows better.. i wanted to talk about it to her and see what happend but she just told me she had to pee...

BRIELLE649

Asked by BRIELLE649 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't be harsh with her, but I would have made her help clean it up. Just say "Accidents happen, but next time you really need to get up out of the bed first. etc." Then, have her help change the sheets and go on with your normal day.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• She's 3. NO she doesn't know better. She's not a teen, she's a toddler. Punish her? What does he want to do to punish her. Our job as parents is to teach them not punish them for things like this.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yup. It's right after she woke up - she just might've had to go REALLY bad, and just couldn't help it.
    It's not like, during the middle of the day, she squatted on the bed and peed. :]

I would let her clean it up and have a chat with her, like Glowing4Caleb suggested (btw. I love the name Caleb!!). Punishing her might traumatize her, especially if this is the first time.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Heck no
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 4:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Children occasionally have accidents in bed, especially at 3 years of age, potty trained or not...some kids don't stop peeing in the bed until around 4 or 5...not that this is right but what she did is sort of normal...if I were you, I would give it some time to see if this persist. If it does, then I wouldn't punish her but seek medical recommendations because she could have an issue...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with mom2mybabes..... accidents happen, I have a almost 4 year old boy... by all means he is potty trained but their are occasional mornings when he first wakes up that he has an accident while tring to get "awake". He always tells me (cause he knows he is not going to get yelled at) and we clean it up.... but he appears embarrased (sp?) or assamed that he had peed. It deffentially would be a major set back to start yelling or punishing for accidents. But if it persists I would agree with mom2mybabes, their could be other reasons why it is happening and needs medical attention.
    Punishment... NO Talk to her, encourger her that pee belongs in the potty that we have to get up even when we are sleepy.... and have her help clean everything up. My dd is 2 almost 3 and will take all her bedding to the laundry room and get a sheet for the bed. She is by no means trained but she knows what to do to clean up.
    kittyh

Answer by kittyh at 5:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• THANK YOU LADY'S FOR EVERYTHING.... I WILL HAVE MY BF READ THIS WHEN HE GETS HOME FROM WORK... THANKS AGAIN
    BRIELLE649

Answer by BRIELLE649 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• No punishment, but you should have her help clean up. I think if you make a big issue out of it she will be anxious and more likely to have it happen again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• PULL UPS AGIAN UNTIL SHE UNDER STANDS ONLY BABYS PEE THEM SELFS.
    2manylilboys

Answer by 2manylilboys at 9:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• GOSH NO !!!! Get her some pull ups and if it continues more than 2x a week see your doctor. She/He might order a kidney and/or bladder ultrasound to see if there is a medical issue. If she's drinking before bed make sure she empties it fully.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009