toddlers and talking question

Our doctor/pediatrician wants my son to start speech therapy because he only says two words... mama and dada. My son's 18 months old. Is this really necessary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah at that age my dd said about 20 words. at 12 mts about 10
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• idk.. mine said "mama, dada, ball" at 18 mos, that was it! Suddenly at 19 mos she started saying everything and by 20 mos was saying 45 words. Now at 21 mos she is saying EVERYTHING!
    While I don't think speech therapy would hurt, it could be he just isn't ready yet! My dd understood everything I said, and signed what she wanted. But just didn't want to talk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• is he saying like 1/2 words? at 16 months my son had no full words, WE knew what they were but no one else did and I couldn't them as words anyway. then at 19 months he had a verbal explosion!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Well, I think every child develops at their own speed, my daugthers doc said she was developing very quickly, at 14 months she says about 40 words. I do read to her for an hour every day, which is one of the things her doc recommended from day one, as reading is supposed to help tremendously with language development.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'd go with your doctor's recommendation. He/she is seeing the child's overall development and is the best position to know. I got the same recommendation when my son turned 18 months and he's done great since then. He's still behind but he's catching up. Turns out that he has low oral motor skills which is part of his problem.

He receives his therapy via our states' Early Intervention program and I'm very happy with the program overall. Cost is based on your income in our state but is free in many others. Avoid going privately if you can since that is far more expensive.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences by 18 months.

Early intervention is always best; speech therapy will not hurt your child.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Since in your gut you aren't sure, I think you should get a second opinion.

I've heard many times that some children just seem to prefer to sit back and take it all in and then shock their parents with a language explosion when they are good and ready.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I would get a second opinion.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009