ADHD & testing setting... (so wordy but SO important, please help)

Gonna keep this as simple as I can, so I can get best advice possible. OK:

Son is 4yrs9mos old. About 3wks ago he had a grueling 3 hour session with a (regular, not a child) psychologist for lotsa testing... mostly IQ. Needed a recommendation letter for school district in order to get him into kindergarten a year early)
I fed him a hearty breakfast day of testing, took him potty, and left him a bottle of water to be alone with Dr. for the testing. To my horror I've learned in the results now he was given the entire 3 hours of testing in the family visitation/child therapy room which is basically like a toys r us.... complete with a sand box and enough dump trucks to put Tonka out of business.

Moms who are crazy familiar with ADHD I'd be happy to email/fax you the ENTIRE case notes/results but some exact quotes are:

"impossible to test, wont stop playing toys" "seems obsessed with sand box" "etc. Soo.. are results accurate?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Health

• PS she has him in high average and gifted levels of all the partials she completed with him.... but nothing is fully accurate, as she notes, because he was so, so distracted.

And her diagnoses is that he's easily bright enough for early kindergarten but he's way too easily distracted to sit in school for any length of time. She suggests finding a "medication friendly pediatrician" as soon as I can
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OK one more PS .... I tried to briefly argue before the tears overtook me and I had to leave that wouldn't *ANY* 4 yr old in a huge room of new toys choose them over sitting at a table and taking a boring test? She said "oh no! they should always choose pleasing the adult over toys and self stimulation"........ my heart is broken into a million pieces. I am lost beyond words. There is no one to call or email here. There is only Cafemom!!!! Son is in preschool, never kicked out, rare time outs. Karate, tball, tap, ballet, swimming seasonally, etc. He's a good, good boy and so, SO bright.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Sounds like a typical child, who is probably not emotionally mature enough for kindergarten.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• He is too young to be tested for ADHD. He sounds like a normal 4 year old to me. A child can not be tested for ADHD until they are in school. Observations need to be done in a number of settings, not just one setting. Your child does NOT need to be medicated and I would not put him in Kindergarten early, he is not ready. There is nothing wrong with him and he doesn't need medication. Don't freak out, I have worked with hundreds of preschoolers and he sounds as normal as any 4 year old. Keep him in preschool.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That's the stupidest test I've ever heard,putting a child in a child environment, which he will naturally and normally respond to[play with toys] and then see if he'd sit at a table with a adult instead?No,the way to test adhd,is through your observations first,find out what adhd does to a child and then see if yours does it.To me the test sounds stupid but these people are professionals and they probably know what they are doing but also teachers who know your child will be better witnesses to this disorder than some stranger.I would be angry too and frustrated but give it time,don't give up.When he's older then there's more evidence of the disorder because in those grades children have to sit longer and quieter and follow directions more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009