Can breast milk make acid reflux worse?

I have a little one that is strictly on breast milk. However the mother has frozen her milk way in advance because she knew she was going back to work. I am irritated because this baby has constant rashes, bowel problems and her acid reflux seems horrible. She cries so much she can't even finish her bottle. She flares her arms and neck back. She seems in constant pain. I think the frozen milk, since it is old might be the problem. She seems to be allergic to something in the milk. But we cannot trace it back to what the mother ate. I am so upset because she does not seem to understand how horrible she is when she is in my care. I hate seeing her in pain. Should I demand newer milk? I breast feed and I never had this many problems. Breast milk is suppose to be better not make things worse. It just has to be something in the milk. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am not sure but I breastfed and my son was JUST As miserable. Cried the whole time, he was on acid reflux even though he didn't spit up - My milk AND Formula make him scream like this- you could hear his tummy the whole time while eating.. it COULD be the milk but It could be something else. we Never figured out what was wrong with my son though with all the formula trials/med trials they made us do he was all of a sudden on solids whew! I would not hesitate one bit to tell the mother. I am sure she does this for her but the mom probably doensn't know what else to do either, but you should sit her down and talk to her - By the way - I highly recommend her bringing the baby to a chiropractor - turns out that SOME of my sons issue was pinched nerves from being in the womb.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You need to talk to her and see if she has any ideas why her baby is so miserable. If she doesn't, advise her to call the pediatrician and if I were you I would consult one as well. They might think of something that you haven't. You can freeze breast milk for up to 3 months I'm pretty sure so it would have to be really old for that to be the problem.
    Good luck.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have ideas it may not be acid reflux but overfeeding....if shes ok when nursing but NOT ok from the pumped milk it is mots likely because of the gas from the bottles and from being overfed.

Make sure the baby is getting 1-1.25oz an hour or 2-2.5 oz bottles every 2 hours or 3-3.75 oz bottles every 3 hours...BM should be fed in smal amounts more often than formula.

OLD milk wouldn't do anything to make her tummy upset, all older milk does is lose too many nutrients...milk can last in the freezer up to 6 months and deep freeze for a year. Theres nothing wrong with the milk.

Rashes are the normal part of being a baby, so is irritability and fussiness...if this baby is irritating you maybe you shouldn't watch it.

ITS VERY rare to be allergic to something mom ate to react in this way...theres a chance that its a dairy issue BUT if shes fine when just nursing at home then its not the dairy.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• um ... my I don't agree on it being rare for the child to react to something mom ate. The most miserable day I ever had was the day I ate too much garli -- Ja screamed for hours, he also reacted BADLY to shrimp that I ate etc.
    But ... the rest of your advice sounds reasonable things to lookad at
    .
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009