Am I overreacting?

I have become somewhat estranged from a friend. To be fair to both sides,this lady sat with my daughter and has been good for her, and helped out a lot around our house as she is temporarily out of work. However her dependence on us has not been healthy for us and can't be helping her to find another job or get her life together. On a recent trip to a popular tourist attraction, my friend told my daughter to lie and say she's just 2 in order to get in free. I was not happy with this, and more unhappy when she spoke for me when I requested 2 adult 1 child ticket. She told the cashier my daughter was 2. I don't like people speaking for me, and I'm trying to raise a nice little girl, not a liar, thief, moocher, or freeloader. This lady's mooching, once even asking for a credit card number to pay for body work, has made respect difficult. Is separation an overreaction?

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• You have to draw boundaries and you have to enforce them. Only you can decide what you can enforce. So you need to decide if you have the stamina to follow through. You don't want to just make empty threats. You definitely need to put a stop to her speaking for you. Those are your decisions and you should let her know that you don't want her speaking for you or for your child. You probably should have overruled her at the park and let her be the one who was embarrassed. There has to be consequences for bad behavior, and you have to be the one to set it. So figure out what you can follow through with and then do it. The tougher the better.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Sounds like she's muscling in too much on your life and family. Doesnt she have a partner or other friends? Friends shouldn't take over your parental decisions and be around so much they're unwelcome.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We have a friend like that and I am with you. My husband has had it with them and I have decided that I don't want to spend anytime with them. Your not over-reacting.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anyone who tried to get my kids to lie would be in hot water with me!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• we had friends like that and it got to a point where i chewed them out in front of everyone i bit my tongue for too long and i snapped , that put a stop to it.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009