Infant Thrush

My 1mo old daughter has had thrush for over 3 weeks. Being a 1st time mom I didn't realize she had it until 2 weeks in. I thought it was just formula still in her mouth.
She is taking nystatin 4 times a day. It's been 5 days since she started treatment and the Thrush just seems to be getting worse, not better. Her mouth smells like yogurt! She is so miserable...

Did anyone else have a problem with Thrush not clearing up? What did you do?

FeistyAle

Asked by FeistyAle at 5:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go tot he drug store and buy Genetian violet and use it to paint the inside of her mouth...throw out all pacis and nipples get all new ones, sterilize ANYTHING that went near her mouth.

GV stains badly but works Nystatin actually makes thrush worse...it feeds the yeast with the sugar in it
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My DD had it when she just a few days old and the med they gave me cleared it right up. I would swab the inside of her mouth and it would practically fall off. It went away pretty quick. Maybe its because you didnt catch it right away and it was a worse case??. Tell your baby's pedi. I hope you can figure it out, I know it is not fun :(
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 6:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes, use the GV. We had thrush (bf'ing moms get it too, so treat your nipples as well or you'll just end up passing it back to baby), anyway, we had it and went through two courses of Nystatin with no results, but the GV cleared it right up. And yes, you have to sterilize anything that goes in her mouth (like toys, teethers, etc) and get new pacis or bottle nipples if you use them. And seriously paint your nipples too or nurse right after you paint her mouth because chances are you have it too and don't know it. I was told (by a lactation consultant) to use it once a day for 7 days. It is messy, it will stain, but it will work. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I am going through this as we speak with my 4 week old. Also didn't know he had thrush until someone told me. I got very sore and had to stop nursing him and now i'm pumping and he is still drinking my milk though. I am now all the way better and my babies thrush is almost completley gone! I read a lot before i called my ped and decided to not go with a med because i read that nistatin makes it worse and so we went with some natural things. I swab my babies mouth with bragg's organic apple cider vinegar diluted 50/50 with water, use a q-tip and just swab the inside of his mouth. If you are breastfeeding then I can give you all the things that I did for myself and what went through my milk to help my baby also. I know how this can be and it's no fun. Hey don't feel bad about not knowing he had thrush, this is my 6th baby and I had no idea either!!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 8:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had it at age 24 after I got an infection after getting tonsils out. It is not fun! Like the other said, throw away or sterilize anything that goes in the mouth. I had to buy a weeks worth of tooth brushes because I couldnt reuse them until it was cleared up.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i'm bfing. so, i got thrush too. make sure you wash your hands before you handle her bottles, make sure everyone that touches the baby is washing there hands, and make sure you're washing your hands after you go to the bathroom. also, my LC said that a diaper rash could cause it too. so, make sure you wash your hands after you change her diaper. we used nystatin. we haven't had it since, but if it does happen again, i'm probably going to go w/ the GV route. saves a visit to the dr and paying for the meds.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2009