Why don't you see people of other religions often represented in movies?

I mean in movies, people are just people (usually religion is not represented that often). And when someone is religious it is usually Christian.

When I think of movies I don't really remember people of other faiths that are not exagerated and stereotypical.

Is this just because I have never noticed it, as a Christian?

What movies do you think represent your faith well, or misrepresent your faith?

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 5:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How about "Fiddler on the Roof? " Jewish. "Yenta" with Barbara Streisand -also Jewish.How bout "Friendly Persuasion" w ith Gary Cooper? Quaker. How about The Sound of Music-catholic. I could go on but you guys are probably too young to even know these movies. ANyway, I guess i am trying to say that if you want to look for movies that feature different religions, just look around.They exist.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I just thought of this because I am watching a movie right now, and there is this character and I want to know what religion she is, but the movie isn't going to tell me that, LOL.

I know that it doesn't usually make a difference to the story line, and all. And I haven't really thought this question through so if I am off, you can tell me. But I was just wondering what you thought?

Are members of your faith stereotypical and exaggerated? Or does Hollywood do your faith justice? Please list whatever movies you can think of.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Chrisitans are as over blown as non Christians in movies
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I could agree with that somewhat. What movies are you thinking about?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I can't think of a movie but "House M.D" sort of displays Atheism through Dr. House. Of course they show the stereotypical bitter sarcastic atheist trying to disprove god when he can. However, the compassionate, ethical and moral atheist is shown with Dr Allison Cameron. The show really doesn't focus on religion though.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The first movies that come to mind that are heavily laden with "my" religion are The Craft and Practical Magic.

There are pieces of truth about things in most movies that have religious undertones I think but Hollywood prefers to liven things up and takes them to extremes.

So to me, its knowing whats real about a religion and whats not but for that to happen it takes knowing the religion therefore honestly studying it without prejudice(and I honestly dont think that happens as often as it could or should).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Amaranth are you saying that The Craft and Practical Magic are exaggerated and stereotypical?
    Can you think of any movies that have a normal/realistic witch?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think that Practical magic had some good and realistic points.

Then some kinda out there for hollywood sake.

But the herb work, etc, not too bad.
    The Craft also explained things like the law of three. Once again, some good points, but overdone for hollywood sake.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The Good Witch....on the Hallmark Channel...I loved that movie and I think it was as realistic as it is for us as witches. You see how people stereotype a witch by the way the people treat her in the movie and just the magic she uses isn't really "fluffy" or "embellished to extremes. It's pretty realistic with the stones and the things she teaches the children and their father. Very good flick.

It's a cute movie. I watched her interview(43 seconds) here and I love her reasons for wanting to take the role too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc1zobjAIVQ
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• What Princessofscots said. There was realistic stuff in both movies. The use of herbs and not doing stupid spells to get yourself out of trouble cuz it harms more than helps....law of 3, rede, etc.

Sabbats and things done were briefly mentioned.

In the Craft they talked about the elements and how they are called upon while doing rituals. Again, the law of 3 was talked about.

Good Witch(just saw that on Hallmark last Saturday)was very cute. Her use of herbs was very realistic and her attempt at peace and causing no harm even tho it was done to her she tried to keep the peace,etc. Thats all part of the Rede.

But yes...Hollywood does exaggerate various things.

Hmmm another movie....cant think of one right off. Charmed(on tv)had many realistic points as well like mentioning sabbats and the moon importance. The use of herbs and candles and oils. The Rede and Law of 3 were used as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009