how can i get my dog to stop barking

I just rescued a dog a week ago and he has some bad barking habits I think are separation anxiety he's a beagle so he howls and carries on even when we take him to the beach or park also is a leash puller any tips would be great thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pets

• first remember beagles are hounds genetically. They howl and bay naturally. If he was rescued chances are big he's been mistreated. Lots of love, patience but stern "Alpha Female" tactics. Any dog that is allowed to leash pull thinks he's in charge. I used to think the "dog whisperer' show was a bunch of garbage, until I watched it a few times. He actually is dead on the money. Here is his website.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• There are collars (albiet they are quite expensive for my family's budget) that spray a quick shot of water in your dog's face when she barks. They suggest you put a drop or two of chamomeal in - which is calming for dog - and gentlely perfumes the house too!

It may be hard to break a beagle - especially if she's a little bit older - of a yowling problem!
    Good luck!
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 6:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I guess it's worth adding that several friends and I shared the water-spray collar and we quickly trained all of our dogs (at least 5!) within a few days time!
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 6:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Some dogs don't like loud noises. My grandmother had a small dog that would sometimes bark hysterically at things like her reflection and falling leaves. My grandmother filled a soda can with a few pennies and shook it whenever the barking was too intense. It worked, sometimes. Just remember that if you say "NO" too often, the dog will not respond when it becomes necessary, like when they decide to run in the road or chase something. But beagles bark, a lot, it's a genetic trait bred to alert the hunters of the presence of the prey. Good luck!
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 6:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Your dog barks because he's a beagle. It comes with the breed. Hounds are noisy. You signed up for that when you got this dog.

If worst comes to worst, there are those anti-bark collars, but I think that's a bit cruel for a dog that bred to bark.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have seen some anti-bark collars that emit a spray of citronella in front of the nose when the dog barks. Seems like it may be worth a try....they don't like the smell and it is much more human than those shock collars in my opinion.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2009