Remember the "re-education camp" fear tactics?

Back in April, Rep. Bachmann warned of the expansion of the program, designed to get young people involved in community service:

I believe when it's all said and done, this service that -- I believe that there's a very strong chance that we will see that young people will be put into mandatory service. And the real concern is that there are provisions for what I would call re-education camps for young people, where young people have to go and get trained in a philosophy that the government puts forward and then they have to go and work in some of these politically correct forums. It's very concerning. It appears that there's a philosophical agenda behind all of this, and especially if young people are mandated to go into this.
She added, "As a parent, I would have a very, very difficult time seeing my children do this."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/12/michele-bachmanns-son-joi_n_257498.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Rep. Michele Bachmann's son Harrison has joined Teach For America, part of what the Minnesota Republican considers a dreaded government re-education camp program called AmeriCorps.

Star Tribune columnist Jon Tevlin writes that "when Bachmann issued her screed, her son might have already been accepted, and certainly would have applied. Ouch."

Guess her own kid knows a liar when he sees one...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:06 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• hehe huffpo.. no wonder people think youre coo-coo..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We already have re-education camps. They are called public schools.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• See, this is where having special needs children (even though high functioning) will earn us a pass on these types of programs! Perhaps that is the silver lining?! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Rep. Michele Bachmann's son Harrison has joined Teach For America

The Irony is just so rich!..but again, you have to see the pattern of crying crazy panic about something that is so far from the TRUTH!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• C'mom guys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• sweets--did you not rebel against YOUR parents wishes at some point in your life?! I'm sure this reps son is doing the same..."I'll show her!"

All parents can do is guide their children the best they know how, and hope that children make the right informed decisions as adults--some heed their parents advice, and some don't. I don't know how old her son is, but I'm guessing he's in the ultra-liberal, bleeding heart age group (18-23 ish), and simply doesn't know any better! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Teach for America is not a re-education camp. Do you even know what Teach for Amer. is?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh, and Carpy, I teach in public schools. They aren't re-education camps either. Don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm a conservative republican, and worse than that, I'm Christian.
    (Loud collective gasp!!!!!!) I don't re-educate anyone. I just teach English, and from time to time, Math.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Every time I see them write about schools "Indoctrinating" students, I am appalled and disgusted. There is no such thing. Public schools teach the students the same subjects ---English, Mat,science,history,arts and music,etc. as they always have.
    Michelle Bachman is an airhead. A right wing airhead. She contradicts herslf all the time and she can't keep her stories straight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009