What do you think of this statement...

Because parents need assistance with childcare and we are in a recession then those people who can't afford it should never have had children? This was a statement on our local tv channel that is entitled "talkback".

robinsi2000

Asked by robinsi2000 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, I think that it's one thing for people to need assistance at times, and health care is one thing which is entirely too expensive. However, if parents cannot fulfill their childs basic needs and constantly need all types of assistance from food stamps to free daycare to health care, they shouldn't be having any more kids. I know a lady with 5 kids who is having her sixth...willingly...and receives almost $4,ooo total in government assistance a month., NO, she should not be having more kids. I waited until financially stable to have a baby, and I think others should at least make an attempt to do the same. However, like I said, once in a while I think it's okay. If you've worked, you've contributed to the money you'd be receiving, and that's what it's there for. I just don't believe in taking advantage.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• This is in regard to those parents who are working put need assistance with childcare. We struggle with childcare all the time. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have had him. we have always struggled but that shouldn't be a reason for not having a child more children then you can handle yes, I don't agree with that but a 4 person household both parents working but need a little assistance with childcare. How is it fair she makes a statement like she did?
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If you can't afford to watch your own kid you shouldnt have had one, robini2000.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• We can throw stuff at each other all night but are you really going to do that? What happened to mom's supporting each other?
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009