38 weeks and still closed, ugh!!

So I'm 38 weeks and my cervix isn't dilated at all! The good news is the doc said my cervix is thin and soft and the baby has dropped. Has anyone been in this situation and gone into labor soon after?

madelines_mom

Asked by madelines_mom at 6:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was 38 weeks I was already dilated to 3. Since your cervix is thinning, it shouldn't be too long now! You could go any time!!
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 6:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Your cervix being closed doesnt mean anything. I walked around at a 4 for weeks. Its the thickness that matters more. (effaced) It has to thin out to open. :) This is what the OB/GYN I worked iwth told me
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• yupp i was right there with you... i got induced at 38 weeks from 0% effaced and 0% dialated. i KNOW i would have gone all the way to 10 days overdue if i wasnt induced at 38 weeks (i had to be induced)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Don't rush it. You still have 2 weeks and thats no gaurantee that you will be on time. If your are softening then you are on the way. It could happen in a week or two. Everyone is different.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• So what? Dilation and effacement mean nothing really. Women can walk around for WEEKS dialated and effaced, and other perfectly NORMAL women do not dilate at all UNTIL labor. There's nothing wrong with you.

You've got 4 weeks in which you can spontaneously dilate and go into labor. Human gestation is a range between 38 and 42 weeks with a smaller number of women going at week 37 and 43. All normal. If this is your first expect to go to an average of 41 weeks and a day or so.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh, and stop getting checked. It is unproductive and is just stressing you out. Labor doesn't like stress.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Dilation and effacement really don't mean anything. You could easily dilate to complete in a couple of hours or you could walk around at a 4 for weeks. Knowing what you're dilated to won't change when the baby is ready to come. It'll only stress you out one way or another.

Besides not giving any valuable information, getting checked also increases your risk of infection. So save your self the stress, pain, and risk of infection and skip the checks.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Being dilated or not is not an indication of anything, you can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many weeks. Its basically useless information and it adds stress to the mothers.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009