I do childcare in my home and my baby and I are very sick- but parents still want me to watch there kids- would you ask sm1 to do that?

I started feeling sick mon and told all the parents- they pretty much said "ok see ya tomorrow" Tuesday- i've pretty much lost my voice and running a fever- I called each one but they still wanted me to watch there kids- I finally told everyone tue night that I am not going to be open wed. I am runninga 102 fever- barely can get out of bed and now my baby is sick- Then i get messages this morning from 2 families stating how they absolutely need me thursday and one told me about how much $$ they lost since she called into work. Its in my contract that if im sick they must find back up, so I feel im not obligated nor would I want sm1 that sick to be around my kids! Im soo fed up with parents acting like im superhuman and can do it all! any advice? this is the first time in 3yrs that i've been sick so its not like I close down a lot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldnt do that because I wouldnt want my child to get sick

you can say that you cant and the just dont do it if your feeling that crummy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I cant afford to hire a back up person due to me not even making much money!!
    Anonymous

• i feel your pain. i worked in a childcare center. and there were times that i felt absolutely miserable, but my boss still wanted me to come in so they didnt have to worry about being over the ratio for the day. I mean once had i been a kid, i'da been sent home 3 times lol. heck i even worked with poison ivy, trying to keep it covered in the nursery. i'm sorry you dont feel well, and lucky for you, you had that in your contracts about being sick. there's nothing they can do if you're sick then close, o and take your phone off the hook!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I can see why your not up to watching them. :) Hope your better soon. However, if those kids were with you Monday or even Friday, they have already been exposed to whatever you have. You can be contagious before you get symptoms. It takes a few days for viruses/illness to 'set in' then you start getting symptoms. I sitll wouldnt want to send my kids to you no matter how desperate I was for a babysitter. Im surprised they do! Hello the flu's going around! Tell the parents when your fever is has been gone for 24 hours then you can watch them (to be safe). Its not your fault that your really sick. If they want someone that wouldnt close, they should have gone to a daycare, but they chose a more 'homey' kind of care for thier kids and have to understand that things happen when theres only one person.
    Feel better soon sweetie. And please consult ur Dr if your fever doesnt go away (big hugs)
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't do it, but that's why I use a daycare center rather than relying on one individual to take care of my kids. The parents should either have a back up plan or enroll their kids in regular daycare so they don't have to worry about it. I would tell them you are not available and they need to find back up, but be aware that some of them may look for another option full-time. If you do lose these kids then you should make your policy VERY clear to any future parents you work for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• While I understand people get sick you are however running a business and it puts these parents in a bind. Maybe you should have a backup incase things happen like this in the future just incase? I wouldn't take my kid to someone who was sick and I understand you had it in your contract however it isn't that easy to find a backup babysitter all the time. (Not trying to be a bitch and hope it doesn't come out that way. Sorry if it does.)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That is crappy! Don't they care about their kids' health? If one of their children got sick you wouldn't say "bring them anyway so i don't lose the income"! That's just ignorant!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The idea of a back up sitter is a good one. YOU don't pay her, the parents do.

There are lots of moms would could use some extra money now and then but can't or don't wish to make a long term committment like you. You should ask around and see if anyone would be willing to take your clients on an emergency or "vacation" basis. There will be times in the future.

I would not bring my child to a sitter too sick to do the work. And it's WORK!

Actually, THEY should have a back up arrangement for these times but since they don't seem to care, if I were you, I would try to get a friend or relative to agree to be your back up, even if it's in your home.

Good luck and get well soon.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 6:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I watch a child mon-fri. If my son is sick and the mother is comfortable with her son being( I call and let her know right away) here any way then fine. But if I'm sick I will not watch her child. I am barley up to keeping up with my almost 4 year old when sick. I couldn't properly take care of a her baby while sick. And if she doesn't like it then she can go find a real day care. She's getting a great deal with me. And if your sick and don;t feel up to it then you should put your foot down. Because not only is it not fair to you but also the child.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• "While I understand people get sick you are however running a business and it puts these parents in a bind. Maybe you should have a backup incase things happen like this in the future just incase?"

It was in her contract. They knew from day one then. It's not that easy to have a back-up for a home daycare.

I'm sure these parents will complain about having to miss work for their own sick child b/c they chose to send them to someone who needed time to get well first. The parents are selfish.

Get well. Rest. Try not to stress about it, i know it's hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009