Were you plauged by migraines after you gave birth?

Before I got pregnant I had fairly frequent migraines; one a week, sometimes more.
Once I got pregnant, the migraines stopped... completely. I loved it.
Well, I gave birth just under a month ago and now they're back and much worse than before I got pregnant. I've had one almost everyday since I gave birth. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it eventually go away on it's own or did you have to go to the doctor?

::side note - I know that there is a difference between migraines and headaches. Please do not tell me that I am overreacting, etc.::

jennifercalling

Asked by jennifercalling at 6:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Health

• I feel your pain. I have had migraine since I was 3 yrs old. (my dad tells me they started then with the vomitting and stuff) and mine did get worse right after the babies were born. But not for too long. My neurologist said that it is probally hormone related. Your bodies adjusting and trying to get back to normal. :) Im sure you'll feel better soon. I have them 2-4 times a week with vomitting and everything else normally, but after my kids were born they would be almost every day and nothing helped!. I def dont think your overreacting cause Ive been there
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Do you have the kind that completely ruin you to where you have to stay in bed and vomit? I'm asking because that's the kind I've had. I suggest Klonopin for migraines. It's a prescription drug but very helpful in almost eliminating them. Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. Could be the hormones and when they get back in check so will the migraines.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• jeanclaudia: Klonopin is a anxiety drug..those help for migraine? Ive used it for anxiety but never for migraine. hmmm, lol. You know when u get to the point you'll try almost anything. The Dr finally put me on Oxycontin, but I hate it. I hate being on heavy drugs...but after 25 years, they've tried everything. Imma has to ask bout this. THANKS
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• jeanclaudia: yes, they're the type that absolutely ruin everything and I vomit a ton. I was on toradol before I got pregnant and I'm thinking about asking my doctor to refill my prescription for it again. I've been able to keep them in check (sort of) with excedrin and large amounts of caffeine. They don't go away but I'm at least able to function.

jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 7:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• did you have an epi? i heard somewhere that epi's can give you migranes for months after. otherwise maybe just hormones... im sorry :[
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Did you have an epidural? This is a very common side effect and can last for a year or more.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had a spinal block for a c-section...
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 7:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Have you ever tried an elimination diet or keeping a food diary? It is very common for migraines to be triggered by certain foods. Some common food triggers are chocolate, cheese, vinegar, nuts, nitrates, yeast

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I hardly eat dairy, avoid preservatives, and only drink caffeine when I'm trying to get rid of a migraine. I've tried numerous different diets at the suggestion of my neurologist...
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 8:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009