Anyone else nervous about there Kindergartner taking the school bus?

My dd will be starting K soon and she is VERY excited. She keeps saying that she wants to take the school bus to school. It would be easier as I do work outiside of the home 3 days a week and waiting in a long line @ the school to d/o will be a major pain. However- I am very nervous for my daughter. I took the bus In K but lived in a small town and things were different then. She is a very confident and socially adept little girl who I'm sure will do well.........but..................I'm not so sure how well I'm going to handle it. Of course my hubby is un-opionated about the subject. But the transportation comes down to me anyway! Just looking for some words of wisdom from anyone else who has been there. Thanks!

momothebean1203

Asked by momothebean1203 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in

• I know how you feel. When my oldest first started kindergarten he wanted to ride the bus. We decided that it would be fine but I was beyond nervous. When he got on the bus I walked up and asked the bus driver to please put him in the front. He let me know that was where the kindergarten kids sat so he could keep an eye on them. I was nervous but he did great. Now i'm going through it all over again with my middle son but now the bus driver has assigned my oldest son and him to the same seat. So it's not as bad.

I'm sure she'll be fine and will have fun.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• yes i to having my daughter starting k too and will all that im going back to work( with a break for 5 yrs) so i mite be doing the same thing, i nevous to put her in th bus too !
    i dont know how im going to make it there the day with out here around and putting her on the bus scarries me to death.
    hope to help problem not sorry .
    friendly mom
    annmarie1752

Answer by annmarie1752 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Be thankful your school has a bus. Ours is too cheap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Well hopefully I can help you all here. I drove a special needs buss in a big town. A special needs buss like the one I drove was for kids out of control that went to the middle and high school for bad kids and they only put a few on the buss at a time. There for my buss was a small one. Which is also the only thing they use for very young kids other than school trips. Its my understanding that the following are rules all over the country, 1 each bus will have an aide if carrying a special needs child or very young child, this person becomes the kids friends, helps them if they need anything, makes sure they are belted in and so on. We learned everychilds name, parents, siblings you name it. We always took special care of the little ones because we know its most likely there first time on a buss. 2 Every driver and aide is checkout very well, I had to pass a major back ground check.
    AsIAm43

Answer by AsIAm43 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• 3 they teach us that buss from bumper to bumper, we have a mirror set up that alows us to see all the kids and we put the bad ones where we can all watch them and try very hard to keep the good kids away from them. If your child gets hurt on the bus, and i mean so much as a scratch we have a first aide kit and paperwork like you wouldn't believe. We are taught to think the worst and call it in, then someone comes out and meets the buss checks out the child and dicideds if we can go on or the child should be seen by a doc. I could go on, but in other words your babies are very safe riding a bus and all the time I drove my younger kids was the most fun, they so injoyed being on the bus because now they was a big kid too. Hope this helps, Good Luck to you all Mikki AsIAm43
    AsIAm43

Answer by AsIAm43 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I wouldnt let my daughter ride the bus in kindergarten and my son doesnt ride the bus either. One reason was that i was afraid they would get off at the wrong stop and the bus driver doesnt pay enough attention to know if it was the wrong stop or not. ANd with my son he is a car sleeper so if he was on the bus he would definitely fall asleep and miss his stop and again the driver wouldnt know it and then where would my kids be. My daughter does ride the bus now but my son I drive ( i only live a mile from the school though so its not a big deal!) In general i dont trust bus drivers with my children. They dont seem to care about the children on the bus, i remember what it was like riding the bus. and if my daughters school wasnt so difficult to navigate with a teeny tiny parking lot i would probably drive her too!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My kids rode the bus in kindergarten. It was not a problem at all because it is, afterall, a bus full of elementary school kids. The bus drivers have the kindergarten kids sit in the front. They have a tag or sort of a bus pass that they wear at the beginning of the year which says what bus they are supposed to be on. In our district, the kindergarten kids need to have a parent waiting at the bus stop or they don't let them off the bus. They are very conscientious about knowing who all the kids are and which bus stop they are supposed to get off at. It isn't like you are putting your kid on a public bus. If your district has bussing, and your daughter wants to use it, I would highly recommend that you use the bussing. You will be doing your daughter, yourself, and the school district a favor. If everyone drove their kids in, it would be a huge mess... The bus is meant for a kindergartener! It will be fine!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mine have been riding a bus since preschool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm not worried about him riding the bus TO school. I'm worried about him finding his bus to come home. I'm afraid that he will get on the wrong bus....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 8:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes and you would think that I wouldn't be because this is my 4th. But it makes me nervous because they can't really read numbers yet to know what bus to geton. Good thing he gets out and hour earlier then the regular students. The fact aht they also walk thm to their bus helps a little too. He is so excited to ride the big boy bus too.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009