Nightmares

My daughter (8 months on the 28th) wakes up or she refuses to go to bed because I think she's having nightmares. She has a little incident when we took out the bumper that almost broke her leg (we put it back in) and after that she just screams her head off. We asked the dr and she told me babies don't dream (I know that's a lie) and that she's having separation issues. I know that's not true either because she never slept with us, I simply don't believe in it and why would it take her 7 months to build the separation issue? Does anyone else have any of these problems and if you do what do you do for your child?

Babyduche

Asked by Babyduche at 9:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• Babies can have separation anxiety even if they didn't sleep with you in the bed. They have separation anxiety because they are old enough to realize you are separate people from them and you can go away and leave them. So they start to have fears and anxieties about that. It's normal and natural and it's not because of anything you did, it means your daughter is maturing and growing up in her thinking and realizing that she is a little individual and not a part of you. Since it's a normal stage of child development, just reassure her, and make sure she has a steady and constant going-to-bed routine every night. With a little reassurance, she will overcome this stage and get back into her good sleep habits.
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 10:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You can read more about "separation anxiety" here
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/separation_anxiety.html
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 10:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2008