News Story on Yahoo Today ~ Really Upsetting...

We all know Muslum women are required by faith to cover their bodies. A Public Pool in France has baned women from wearing "burquini" (which is a loose fitting full body swimsuit) in the pool. They cited that NO loose fitting clothing including "Surfing" Shorts are permited in the pool so this isn't actually discrimination... However I don't see how they can say that with a straight face... I will post the link for the article below...

But what are your thoughts? Is this discrimination? Or Not??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Because it's France and they have a history of religious discrimination I'll say yes, if that's not the sole purpose of the rule it was a good healthy nudge in favor of passing it. If it were somewhere besides France, I don't know that I'd still feel that way, but their past actions make everything else they do in that respect questionable.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think it's kind of stupid. I mean, they cite that the clothes can contain "bacteria"... so they contain less bacteria if they fit tighter?!?

because the argument cannot be that less fabric would contain less bacteria, since they also ban nude swimming. (which by that argument would be bacteria-free.)

Honestly, I think the French gov't just has a problem with religious expression since they've banned other Muslim clothing (and then banned other religious clothing to be equitable).

I'm all for wearing clothes in the pool. Because SPEEDOS are just NOT flattering on most men..... :)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Like the other poster said, it's France, they have a history of religious discrimination. The whole bacteria argument is insane, apparently the French have never heard of chlorine in pools.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That article pissed me off. Especially with the lame regulations of the pool. Tight fitting clothing actually breed MORE bad bacteria because of causing moisture and heat. Tight fitting swimwear TRAPS that bacteria against the skin. The whole excuse was bullshit. It isn't like she wore her burquini outside either, which gives even more credit to their excuse being bullshit. It is her swim wear used for the sole purpose of swimming.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think this actually upsets me more because France has one of the largest Muslim populations in Western Europe. I mean, discrimination is NEVER okay, but when those being discriminated on are very few in number it tends to breed mis-understanding and at least makes discrimination understandable. But there are an estimated 5 MILLION Muslims in France. Their population is only over shadowed by the Roman Catholics... So that doesn't even make in comprehensible that something like this would be taking place. That would be like making the wearing of a cross illegal or something here... Are you kidding?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Its ridiculous, assenine, all of those words.

France has that history though and they are just adding to it with this discrimination against Muslim ladies.

Their argument is stupid imho.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I know I'd be angry if a pool said I HAD to wear a string bikini..

...yeah, I like more modest swimwear to be consistent with my religious beliefs on modesty.

I don't really see this as being any different.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think that it's stupid. If people can wear next to nothing for swimming why can't we wear a full covering. I understand that they require tight fitting clothing, and if she wore a tight fitting full body outfit it might be allowed but I don't feel that she should have to. IfI EVER see this starting in hte US I will finally vote for the first time in my life! I do not believe that this is going on! I support modesty, haha let's all go to France and wear burquini's to all their pools. Let them wear their modest apparel and get over it!
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I find a tiny male speedo offensive. Why didn't they ban those?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2009