what is in important about perschool?

i'm looking for a perschool for my 4 yr old and 2yr so i can starting working agian after not working for 5 years ,what important for perschools and who's not going to take all the money i work for.

annmarie1752

Asked by annmarie1752 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in

• the point of preschool is to prepare them for elem. and from what i've heard they expect kids to be reading small words, writing their names etc, minor addition and subtraction and a few other things before they even get to kindergarten now. so you want a school w/a good curriculum. where the teachers like children. where you can walk in any time of day w/o someone giving attitude about it, where if you wanted to you could sit in the back of the class, some have webcams so you can check in throughout the day (even if you don't have access at work, someone somewhere would so they'd be aware that parents are watching) as for money it depends on where you live and the hours you would have the kids there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The above information is NOT true for all school districts. Our school district didn't require kids to know much of anything going into K - they spent 26 weeks on the alphabet! Several kids didn't know any letters or numbers going in. They didn't start addition and subtraction till later in the year and even then they only did up to like 3+3 is 6 and 5-3 is 2 or something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Preschools offer no long term educational advantage. Don't waste your money. It doesn't matter if a child learns to read at age 5 or age 12. Actually there is evidence that it may be better for children to not have have formal learning experiences until they are between the age of 7-12.

Since you are going back to work what you are looking for is a baby sitter. If you have money a baby sitter is called a nanny. It's best for the kids if you can have someone come to your home. It may work out if she has kids your children's age and brings them. Don't expect her to clean the house and cook, ect.

Second best is in another mother's home with only your children and her children. When there are a lot of children it is hard for the care provider to give each child the care they need. Imagine having 10 kids! Pay her well, up to half your pay.

Day care center is the last choice.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

bow down

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Kids entering kindergarten are expected to LEARN to learn to recognize their letters, small sight words, simple math, etc...not know it going in!

Preschool isn't a full day program. It's usually only 2 1/2 hours, so you're looking for daycare for your kids. Your 2 year old won't be in a preschool program anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I made the mistake of sending my youngest son to preschool because he was having a hard time adjusting to his older brother being in school all day ( he was in 1st grade) and they are very close. I taught both my kids how to read and add and subtract when they were 4 and 5, so actually preschool was pretty useless as far as teaching my son anything. There was a little boy there who was a total monster, who hit my son, and bit and hit some of the other kids too(he only hit my son once, because I told the teacher if he did it again, I was going to take care of the problem myself if she wasn't going to). The teacher was very sweet, but very disorganized and scatterbrained and if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have sent him, I would have tried harder to organize playdates so he wouldn't have been so bored. I homeschool now, so he's with his brother and other friends all the time anyway.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• There are many many different types of daycare/preschool centers. Look at centers that encourage you to pop anytime. A center that has, and uses, classroom cameras is nice because you can see your child without him/her seeing you. The director should be hands on; he/she should know what's being taught in each classroom and know all of the kids by name. Take your kids in and see how the other students and teachers react.....do they flock to you or to your kids; you want teachers who are more concerned with the well being of your child than with the idea that more clients mean more money. What is the schedule like? Does it offer free play as well as organized play? Is it similiar to what your kids are used to already? How much out doors time is there and what is there to do outside? What is the consequences to bad behavior? See if the center will let you bring the kids in for a trial day to see how they adapt to the center.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 8:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We have a pre-k 3 class at the local public school here. You may check into your school district. Children are NOT expected to know their alphabet, addition or subtraction before going into pre-k. They will learn these things there, unless you have already taught colors, numbers, abc's. Preschool is mostly for children to learn to socialize and get along with others. Sometimes it is a half-day program, other places have full day.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I run a preschool. We aren't finding the cure for cancer, but we have a lot of fun. We learn our numbers and letters in a variety of ways: letter hunts, writing them in paint/shaving cream. We invite parents to come in a share their culture. The children explore nature/science, but the most important thing they socialize and have a sense of independence. It is something that is all their own. Do a search online to find key questions to ask teachers/administrators. That should help. Also they'll have a list of things you should be looking for when touring a school.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I sent all 3 of my older kids to preschool and will send my youngest. I think it was wonderful! They went to a church based preschool and in addition to learning basic educational skills - letter recognition, colors, numbers, etc they also learned how to act in kindergarten - sitting for circle time, lining up to go outside the classroom, listening and following directions, etc. They also made some good little friends to have playdates with. I think it was very beneficial.
    That being said, I would not have sent my kids to a full day daycare facility. Their program was half day and that was as much as I wanted them out of the house. I wanted them at home to learn to entertain themselves and spend time with family as well. There is a wide range of cost between preschools - have an interview and tour the schools you are considering. Good luck.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009