Multiple cat owners

We have a male cat, we got him last fall. We just got two kittens today. They are supposed to be female. I can't really tell when they are young. The woman we got the cats from told us these were both female. Well our cat is mean to one of them, keeps biting it. He leaves the other alone. I know that males are territorial. So I am wondering if the ones he keeps biting is also male. I have never owned more than one cat before.

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pets

• All cats will fight for the first couple of weeks they are around others. I'd give them a couple of weeks before deciding anything at all. My female cat regularly beat up my male cat for 3 weeks after we got him lol. Now they are best friends, and love to groom each other. I added a second male and had almost no problems. I think it depends on whether or not the cat is used to sharing territory with another cat, and the particular personality of the cat involved!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• well make sure he's not hurting the little kitten. if you hold the kitten up to your face and lift the tail you should be able to see if there's balls or not.

cats are picky creatures, he may just be establishing dominance, lets hope it doesnt escalate.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If the kittens are older he may be playing. We foster kittens and somehow our 3 adult cats know when the kittens are old enough to play rough with, smash, and bite. Our male cat will clean other cats necks very nicely and then bite them in the neck. He doesn't do it hard enough to hurt.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I don't know if he is playing or not. The kitten will lay still and cry out,. The first time it happened the kitten was on her back and completely still.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Well I have 13! Not by choice. But I do love them all! But they come my way! To sex them. Look for 2 little dots or an exclamation point! Dots Boys! ! Exclamation! Point A Female! Make sure you watch your Cat! Make sure you're giving him more or At least the same amount of attention! All Cats Are different! Is your Male Fixed? That would be Helpful & Nice if you can! All males & females Act & react differently! I have an older Male! 1 of 3 left on my doorstep in A box. He got Caught in A Fox Trap! We used all our Roofing money on his needs!! Anyway! He's A Sweet Heart! One of Few males that Help Raise Kittens! When they're too young. They can't go potty. They need help to be stimulated! He'd Help & Clean/Groom all Kittens! He still does!! He's at least 12!! Anyway. Watch your Male! I hope the Kittens aren't too young to be on their own! Hopefully they'll Grow to love eachother! Most of mine Are Fixed. Yet Hiss at eachother!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It's true an adjustment period is necessary.I n my experience (and I have introduced new siblings to my furquints three times in the last three years) the boys always adjust faster to new sibs than the girls do. All three of my new babies have also been male. There was a lot of pissy hissing and slapping from all my older ones towards the babies the first week or so. It's odd (to me) that he is okay with one and not the other, but I don't really think it has to do with the sex of the babies.

It helps to keep them separate and switch rooms, and to give the older cat extra attention to help soothe upset feelings about those intruders. But in a few weeks, they will be satellites to his position as Center of the Universe. :O)

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Well now it is both. LOL
    RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i have own multiple cats my whole life..when ever u bring someone new in u upset the pecking order and now it has to be re established the kitten hes attacking is probably sending off dominence vibes and hes simply putting the kitten in place...also plann for the feature if u dont want kittens i would suggest getting the newest memeber fixed at 6 months
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009