Growth spurt around one month.

My son will be one month old this Friday and his appetite has more than doubled. Last week he was eating between three and four ounces every three hours, so about 28 ounces a day. For the past two days he's been eating between six and eight ounces every two hours, so about 72 or more ounces a day.
I almost feel like I'm overfeeding him but he wants it and has no problem keeping it down.
Is this normal or at least okay?

jennifercalling

Asked by jennifercalling at 8:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's fine. My youngest will be 5 weeks on Sat and he just started eating way more in the past four days, he is eating about 4-5 ounces every 2 hrs. Babies do not tend to overeat, unless we are forcing it, so i don't think you should be concerned!! This is my 6th baby and none of my kid's are overweight from eating when they are hungry!! Enjoy your little one!!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 8:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Bottle fed babies are not able to regulate their intake and are not to be fed as much as they want. You have to feed them what they are supposed to be fed for their age. Overfeeding babies leads to overweight babies.

People think chubby babies are cute. Chubby breastfed babies slim down between 6-12 months. Formula fed babies don't. One of the hazards of not breastfeeding is overfeeding and having possible life-long health problems.

You can't feed a baby as much formula as he wants until he throws up.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:35 PM on Aug. 12, 2009