Is 177 Billion dollars a lot to drain from the treasury over 10 years?

First: where do the funds in the Federal Treasury come from?
Does it come from taxes that we pay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, until recently the feds were not in business to produce anything. Now they own a car manufacturing company. But, yes, the federal caufers are funded from the tax revenues. There are interest earnings from money loaned, but it isn't even enough to pay the amount we owe to foreign governments. We often forgive interest payments and loans to foreign governments to get something we want/need politically. And yes, $177 bill. is a lot. Why is it a drain and where is it going. You could do this research yourself, or did you already know and you are seeing if we are worthy to have an opinion?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The fed creates money out of thin air becuase we have a fiat currency.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OP here.... I did the research. And no, I wasn't trying to decide if you are worthy to have an opinion.
    The 177 Billion is going to be paid out to the PUBLIC HEALTH INVESTMENT FUND that will be set up for wellness and public health activities, including prevention research and health screenings.
    I wasn't being a smart ass; I am not an economist but 177 Billion sounded like a LOT of money that would be taken from the treasury for additional public assistance.
    I am not against public assistance (for those in true need) - it just seemed like 177 Billion was a lot of money on top of the 10 Billion that will be allocated to set up the fund.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009