How can I stop my 7 yr old from wetting the bed?

My daughter sleeps upstairs where there is no bathroom. She is a very heavy sleeper and has worn pullups in the past. I can no longer afford them and she is now too big for them. How can I get her to stop wetting the bed when she is too asleep to wake up? I stop drinks and food 4 hours before bed and she goes to the bathroom before too. Right now I have her washing her own panties that she pee's in. What else can I do??

integrity68

Asked by integrity68 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you should stop making her wash her own panties. Thats punishing her for something that is not her fault. Which is only going to make her feel worse. My DD was the same way. She sleeps so heavy that a train could pass through her room and she would never know it. I did stop liquids like you have and for a while (probally about 6 months) I or DH set the alarm and woke her and took her to the bathroom about 4 times a night at first, and gradually moved it down to 2 times a night. after about 6 months of this we tried her on her own not waking her and she hasnt had an accident since. we were able to 'train her body' that way. we tried those alarms (they suck). This was the only thing that worked. She literaly sleepwalked to the bathroom and back but we helped her to and from the bathroom and it worked! It takes alot of commitment from the parent, and alot of time, but it works.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Talk to her pediatrician it may be a che,ical/hormonal imbalance.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If the doctor has ruled out a medical reason, then put a couple of thick towels under her and try putting a pad in her underwear at night

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Buy those goodnight underwear things.. My nephew is 7 and still wets the bed occasionally as well. Some kid's bladders develop later than others.. I occasionally wet the bed until I was 11 years old, had nothing else going on just the fact that I was a heavy sleeper and never felt the urge to go when I was sleeping.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• That heavy sleeping is a "sleeping disorder" where the brain doesnt wake up the body to go pee in the night. She WILL grow out of this eventually, but the bigger deal you make out of it the more damage you are doing to her self esteem in the long run, I promise I know...... Stopping her drinks and all that actually dont help one little bit, she is just going to have to mature, and that takes time. Girls seem to grow out of it faster than boys, but it usually runs in the family. At worst, buy a plastic cover for the mattress and wash the sheets daily. Please dont bring shame on your daughter for this, it isnt her fault at all.... Hang in there, she will get over it. (all this is assuming she has no other issues like day time wetting or an infection...)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:55 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• it it not uncommon for kids to wet the bed until they are 12 y.o. their bladders are just not big enough . I would also stop making her wash her panties. This is not her fault. put a plastic sheet on top of her mattress to protect it and have her bring her sheets down in the morning for washing.
    I don't know why you said that pull up do not fit her any more they do make them in bigger sizes for bigger kids for just this reason. If you cannot afford the pull up ....well try a maxi pad. Yes they are made for periods but in a pinch they may just work. With time her bladder will mature and she will grow out of it
    Do not make her feel bad about this yes it is a pain but it is not her fault and you are doing more mental damage to her than you know
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• why would you punish her by makin her wash her own panties when its something completely outta her control?? thats not fair to her at all!!!! try getting her up in the middle of the night..i still do that with my daughter, shes 5, she goes to be around 930, i get her up at 1230-1ish..before i go to bed..she pees, and then shes good til she gets up in the morning..(around 830-9)..put a plastic sheet over her mattress..maybe even fold up a towel for her to sleep on so it doesnt get on the sheets..much easier to wash a towel than all the sheets...good luck!! i feel your pain!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I have a 15year old that still does wet the bed. didnt start till he was 5 and every medical test was done. it has slowed very much but its something some kids suffer from.
    I made alot of mistakes with him growing up and although punishment does not work it would be ok to have her "help" in taking care of this. washing out panties isnt to bad if it isnt connected with shame just a matter of fact way of life. i also say plastic sheets to protect the bed work well. my son wore goodnights until he couldnt anymore. its hard for sleepovers and visiting. most pharmacies sell a mattress pad for incontiance which is good over the sheets.

good luck, check with Doctors and be patient.- Dawn
    Dawn2plus1

Answer by Dawn2plus1 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009