If a 19 year old had a fever of 103.2

Should she go to the hospital?? or what should she do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends on how long the fever and the other symptoms. An alternative would be a walk in clinic.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• yes the hospital sounds good. 104 means u shouldnt wait u should just go. Give them WATER lots of WATER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Motrine ASAP and a tepid bath. if the fever isn't down in an hour go to hospital. 104 is the danger number for adults. higher than this and you risk brain damage.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Has she taken any Motrin or Tylenol?

I would start with that and see if you can get her temp down. If it doesn't go down after that then, yes I would go to the ER
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• at 105 your brain starts to fry and can cause brain damage. so i would go, also whatever she has is contagious if you are running a fever you are contagious.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• This is from Medline:

Brain damage from a fever generally will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6 °F (42 °C).

Call your doctor right away if you are an adult and you:

Have a fever over 105 °F (40.5 °C), unless it comes down readily with treatment and you are comfortable
    Have a fever that stays at or keeps on going above 103 °F
    Have a fever for longer than 48 - 72 hours
    Have had fevers come and go for up to a week or more, even if they are not very high
    Have a serious medical illness, such as a heart problem, sickle cell anemia, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, COPD, or other chronic lung problems
    Have a new rash or bruises appear
    Have pain with urination
    Have trouble with your immune system (chronic steroid therapy, after a bone marrow or organ transplant, spleen was previously removed, HIV-positive, were being treated for cancer)
    Have recently traveled to a third world
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• drink plenty of liquids, treat aches and pains, keep cool

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• She should go to the hospital, twice by the time I got to the hospital, I didn't wake up until 2 days later,is she lethargic(sp), why take chances,I hope she feel better soon.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Lots of ice water and take ibuprofen. It does a better job of controlling a fever than Tylenol. Unless you're having severe symptoms that do not look like a common cold or virus, 103 at 19 is not high enough to be a concern.

I ran 106.5 with strep at 22 years old and my dr just told me to take Advil and get plenty of fluids. He wasn't concerned about a fever that high as an adult.

Also, when a high fever is a concern is when it doesn't respond to fever reducers. If taking Advil and putting a cool cloth on your forehead and back of neck don't lower the temp at all, then it is a concern and needs to be seen by a dr ASAP.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• 103 at 19 sure as hell is high enough to be concerned. I suggest you take her to the doctor I almost died when I was 19 because I had a fever of 103 it responded to fever reducers but when it wore off my fever would shoot right back up. High fevers like that generally mean that there is some kind of infection. And just so you know she shouldn't take ibueprofen if she has had any sort of UTI or kidney problem in the past because it only makes things worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009