Breast Pumps...

We just found out that we are expecting Baby #2!! This time I want to be ready, so i'm starting early on a search for a breast pump. With my son I didn't look into it enough, and didn't know much about it. I was left using a hand pump, and it was not somthing I want to do again. I was thinking about buying a used motor, with Medela- I heard alot of good reviews about it- and buying everything else brand new. I am trying to be thrifty with my money, but of course the health of my baby comes first. Can I just buy the motor? What actually touches the breast milk? I'm trying to figure out if the motor is the only thing I can buy used. Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can buy new tubing and the cups thingies that touch your breast, along with bottles of course. i have a medela double pump in style that i love, and i see them up for sale a lot. if i had known with my first daughter that i could get one used at all, i probably would have to save myself about $100. but, as i have another due in 5 weeks, i'm getting my money's worth :)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OKay, some people say that its absolutely gross to use a "used" breast pump. But I tink many fail to realize that it can be strerilized by boiling it in hot water. Theywill tell you that you can buy new tubes, but the tubes dont even touch the milk, its used for suction and thats it. The bottles attach onto the same part that goes onto your breasts. I have a playtex dual pump that I am going to be putting onto craigslist because I paid 100 for it and used it for only 2 weeks. Me and DD couldnt get it down and eventually switched to formula. My major decision breaker was pumping for about 1 hour and only getting 2 ounces (1 oz from each breast) and she ended up spitting all of it up. I was so mad LOL. I just wasnt producing enough and wanted to make sure she got what she needed
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The kind of pump you need depends on why you need a pump. If you aren't going to work you probably won't need one at all.

The Pump-In-Style is a great pump. New it is $275. It is supposed to be a single user pump because of the remote possibility that a microbe got into the pump itself and it stays alive and it is a microbe that jumps out of the pump and somehow gets into the milk in a large enough quantity to make a baby sick. You can get a PIS for $50 on Craigslist where I live right now.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Target also sells an electric pump for about $80-90. Probably not as good as the medala, which is what we want as well, but it might be what I end up getting since its has some decent reviews, is not a hand pump, and is so much cheaper. I think you can buy almost all the tubes and other pieces brand new from any store that sells the whole pump. I think you can buy the motor used either off other moms, or from companies that rent them out like your area hospitals or medical supply stores. Part of me wants to buy a used one because we never buy anyhing new, lol, but the other part of me really gets the hebbie gebbies from the idea. What if the other mom had something contagious and just never told anyone? idk, just what has been going through my head on the idea.

Also, if you get government assistance they will give you a pump after the baby is born. Different kinds depending on different situations.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 1:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2009