Salt + Fleas = Fast Death?

Fleas have taken over my life! I've been searching for natural ways to get rid of them bc I don't want my 5 month old exposed to anything toxic. I read that salt can kill fleas if you sprinkle it on your carpets, let it sit for about 2 days, vacuum, and spray lime juice and vinegar. Has anyone ever done this and does it work? Or is there anything else pretty natural you can think of? Any help would be great.

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pets

• just a thought real quick, is your baby crawling and playing on the floor? b/c if so lime juice stings and can burn so be careful with it. i've heard of putting lime salt around the perimeter of a house or yard, but not inside, but i have heard that it does kill them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:17 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• borax...the laudry additive...I would keep baby off of that too...but not harsh
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My daughter plays on the floor but never the bare carpet. I always lay down a blanket for her to play on, but thanks for the reminder. I forgot all about lime juice and the stinging affect it has.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Food Grade Diatomatious Earth (DE) works. I wouldn't think the salt would work sorry. PM for a link if you want to learn more about it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• salt and lavender oil works the best.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 11:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i tried boric acid. i shampooed with vinegar.i vaccuumed over and over. the only thing that worked was throwing the carpet out. If you put frontline or advantix on your pets it will amaze you how effective it is. i wanted to be natural,too...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Natural flea and tic care :  carpet can use D.E. Natural powder - see link:

Also, you can use critter oil on pets , bedding and round the house:

see here for more help : YOU are smart to no use Harsh Chemicals around your little ones.

Good for you!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/7/fleas-use-diatomaceous-earth.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 11:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2009