When do children exhibit signs of sexuality?

My 5 year old daughter has been doing some strange things such as trying to get her 2 year old brother to poke her in her butt crak with her panties down at the time ( though she was playing and laughing) and she also today was chasing her brother during play then grabbed him by the shirt from behind and tried to ram a foam dart at his butt. One other strange thing is that twice recently when i was sitting she poke me in the crotch. I was very upset and told her never to touch other peoples privates but is this stuff normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would bring this up to her doctor sounds like maybe this is happening too her by someone kids do things that they see or have been done to them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• What would a doctor do? Be calm and explain to her that you aren't supposed to touch people in some places ever.

Watch her for signs that other kids have been doing wierd things to her. It's a normal thing to happen at this age. I'm a grandma and in my generation it was normal for 5 years old to do I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:30 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It sounds normal to me, I have alot of grandkids, and the preschool aged ones are kind of fasinated with butts! My granddaughter always like to tap my boobs. I don't think any of this is sexual, it's just them being silly, they think it 's funny.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If you are worried that she has been abused then you should talk to her and have her checked out by her pedi. This kind of thing is normal though. The kids at that age have a penchant for poopy jokes and that can sometimes get out of hand. They are just discovering those parts of their bodies. With my son it all stopped when his class covered stranger danger and how the areas covered by a bathing suit are their own private place.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Just dont freak out and make her feel weird or bad, because then she will grow up thinking her privates are "bad". Definitely let her know she shouldnt let anyone touch her there, and make her feel comfortable talking to you. At this age it is normal, although a little shocking to us! It doesnt sound like shes doing it for sinister reasons though.
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 8:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I agree with most of the posts here. Kids this age are fascinated by butts and private parts. I have a 4 and 7 year old and they think farts are funny. It's just kids discovering their parts. I just explain to them that is their body, and no one should touch them on it in any way that makes them uncomfortable.
    dj3180

Answer by dj3180 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old, nothing is funnier (to them) than a butt. So I think that it's normal. I am constantly reminding my kids that they can't pull their pants down or each others. It's annoying, but my friends kids do the same sort of stuff too. I just keep reminding them and hopefully someday they will stop.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• mY HUSBAND THINKS FARTS ARE FUNNY
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009