What does...Best by Apr. 2010, Use by Apr. 2010, Exp. date Apr. 2010 mean to you???

When you go grocerie shopping you look at the expiration date and of course you buy it bc you plan to use it way before that exp. date..right?

I bought a big jar of spaghetti sauce for two dollars and used half of it I put it in the fridge, then two weeks later I used the other half but the date said best by Apr. 2010.

I did not plan on keeping it that long, but my dh said I hope we don't get sick and I said why I always do this use it up way before the exp. date. He says once I open it that is it you use half of it (or all) then you throw it away (what a waste)

Can someone please clarify this for me I am alittle confused...Is he right?
Ex: on milk Aug 22, 2009 of course it will be gone this week...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well milk is different I think. It gets clumpy and stuff... ewww.... But usually, say if you had frozen that spag. sauce it would have been fine. Personally I do get worried about getting sick. Any spag. sauce I buy is from walmart and its only about 1.50 for a huge thing of it, I make a huge pot and freeze it for several meals to come
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would use the spegetti sauce april 2010 is a long time away as long as you but it in the fridge.. just like salsa dip .. put the lid on stick it in fridge lol and use it again :)
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• once the sauce is open you cant leave it in the fridge till 2010 and expect it to be ok. thats for it unopened. I would keep it for 48 hrs athe most after its opened. when opened, that opens it up for bacteria to grow. its goes through a sealing process to protect it when bottled you break that seal with the 'pop' of the jar lid.

If the milk says exp or use by august 22 2009, I use by that date then toss. I know its suppossed to be good for up to a week after, but I dont use it after.
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• LOL i forgot what yr it was... you could have saved it until apr. 2010 and then opened it and used it, but like PP above said 48 hours in the fridge at the most.... but frozen is different
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• well for me its goes like this:
    Best Used By: as long as it doesnt smell or tasty stanky i will eat it. i use this as a "check before eating date" or "dont be surprised if its bad after this date. its always soda & pasta w/ this on it.
    Use By: depends on what it is. the old baked goods at Walmart say use by, but they still taste good. its more of a "its gonna be stale" warning.
    Expiration: "if you dont use it by this date its gonna make you sick & its gonna taste bad."

i keep every little bit of leftover anything b/c its so wasteful not to. i dont care if its cheap, i never know when i might need a little something extra for a meal. so long as it doesnt taste bad, save it & use it!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If it looks and smells fine I would use it, Spaghetti sauce never keeps in my fridge, but salsa on the other hand lasts forever. If it doesn't taste right then don't use it. Trust me you would have known if it was bad, at least I always do with spaghetti sauce. Just stick it in a freezer safe bag next time and defrost when needed!
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• well he's right to an extent, once you open it that expiration date gets cut WAY back... but it should still keep in the refrigerator for a good two or three weeks.
    treehugger823

Answer by treehugger823 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• for sauce like that i don't go by the expiration date cause i'll always use it before then. I have opened a jar like that before, put it in the fridge, and once it is open it can get germs and grow mold in it. The expiration date is the un-opened shelf life. Once you open it, you only really have about a week to use the rest.
    If you don't want to waste the rest, I say freeze it, like some other people have said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009