What is holding you back?

There seems to still be a good portion of questions that refer to Obama and racism. I know that many of the more conservative women in this section are not interested in the least in his heritage, yet we are still called racists and if we aren't out and out called one, it is implied through wording. My question is, if you see others as racist, does that say more about your own background or situation than it does about other's point of view?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I haven't seen all of those names that you mentioned on this site, maybe I am not looking hard enough. I tend to not label people as extremists unless they freely admit to being one. Politics brings out passion in some of us and we let out emotions get the best of us when we are communicating our dislike of other's agendas. I don't call that extremism, I call it opinionated. I guess that's just one area where we differ.
    As for Cheney, I like him. He does not pretend to be something or someone that he is not. I don't wonder what his real ideals are. So say what you will about him, but he has more leading ability in his pinky finger than Obama does whole. JMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Nope.

I have seen many, many comments to this forum poo-pooing the R word with regards to President Obama.

I have heard many b/m/c about his ideaologies and of course their out and out disdain for the hc reforms currently being puzzled within Congress.

I will freely admit that I'm not totally sold on a UHC plan, but I recognize the need to revamp our current system, especially with regards to insurance, accessibility and reimbursement structures.

The problem I have with so many of the bashers is their inability to find 1 thing that Obama has done or is doing that they agree with, and I find that ALL or NOTHING approach curious. Life is rarely that cut and dry.

Also, how come NO acknowledgement of the last 3 years of economic downfall and basic raping of the American public? Again the all out love/ hate is odd, and there has to be a reason.
    It clearly has not 1 thing to do with $$, or Bush would be raked too.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I suppose I ask because I don't see things like that (with racism attached). I see the same posters either calling others racist, or implying it through their wording. I think this tends to hurt their case, as even if they are right, they are using racism as THE reason someone disagrees with Obama. I wasn't happy with a lot of the things that Bush did, but it had nothing to do with his white skin. Rather it had to do with how I felt his decisions would impact our nation. Same goes for our current POTUS.
    I feel that some people that either experience racism on a regular basis tend to use the racist card more often than those that can give good reasoning for their disdain for the decisions that are being made.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh no you are wrong sister I agreed with him yesterday when he said that UPS AND fed ex (private business) are doing fine but the PO (govy ran) sucks.LOL I agree whole heartidly and in saying so he helped validate the opposition even more.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• TN you only see 1 side -your personal agenda, conservative side-that's ok. Just know that most in our country have a wider scope and larger vision. Hence, why Obama is now the President. I accept the views of conservatives too, but not to the exclusion of other more liberal thinkers.

Racism, who knows.....

Must be frustrating to live with such restrictive views. This country has some many interesting, educated ppl with lots of different povs. I'm always willing to listen.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:04 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• So many
    Sisteract

• Sister I have voted for a few dems since I became of voting age.You can keep trying to shove your little assumptions about me around but sorry no dice.Obama is way far left not just left.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I do see some women on here who seem to have some sort of racial hang up - but that does not override the amazing blind hatred I see of not just the policies, but the man. I hated Bush's policies, but I did not dislike him as a man until the last 2 years or so of his term. There is a hate of Obama as both a person and a pres that is really frightening to me.

I do not agree with all that Obama is pushing, but as a person, I like the guy. Even when he gets wonky policy wise, I still like him. I think you are seeing some calls of racism because the man and the policies are so emeshed in the minds of some of the more hateful on here. I think to some, that translates to some sort of racism, and I can see why, to an extent. I think it's a cheap shot, but I can see where it would be seen as an applicable term for the crap I see women posting on here.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You earned your rep with your own words.

I'm sure you're a very nice, Christian lady, but sometimes your words do not represent that sentiment.

What democratic principles do you personally support?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• There is a hate of Obama as both a person and a pres that is really frightening to me.

LiliM, I haven't seen this type of hate for a very long time. Can you elaborate (obviously without using screen names)? Like comments that have been said?

And for reference, I was really speaking more to those that call others racist just because we don't believe in Obama's ideals. Not about Obama himself. I have moved past being called a racist because of my fundamental difference of opinion, but some of his supporters just keep at it like if they chip away enough they will find a little racist nugget in the middle. Why the need to label.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2009