i have a 3 year ol daughter that refuses to be potty trained.i also have a 14 month old son who refuses to be weaned from the bottle.i have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked.any answers are appreciated

sarahkay28

Asked by sarahkay28 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Throw them bottles away hun, I just did 3 nights ago :0D and my DD is 14 months. The other morning I was tired of washing them and threw them out without a second thought. The first night she cried until 11:00, last nigt until 10:00 and tonight, she didnt cry, she just went right to sleep. And I thought I was going to have a really hard time because she was so dependent on it.... You will get through it. As for the potty training, I dont know because I havent been there yet
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:32 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Bottles...if there aren't any in the house then there's no problem. He will drink from what you give him when he gets thirsty enough.
    As for potty training, does she show signs that shes ready? I ditched the diapers and put her in undies and dresses and cleaned up a lot of pee (sham wow works wonders) and within a week she was dry during the day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yeah without knowing what potty training you actually tried I can't suggest. Does she refuse to sit?? Have trouble remembering to go?? Goes, but then has accidents?? Have you tried letting her pick out her underwear?? Toss the bottles. You can do it all at once or a few at a time. Try a cup with a straw or do a sippy. Also try a new drink in a sippy. There will be tears at first, but like the other poster said it's easier than you think. You just gotta be strong the first day or so.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• For your 14 month old you might have to go cold turkey. That's what I had to do when my daughter was 16 months old, it was hard the first few nights but it only lasted 3-4 nights and she stopped crying after that.

My doctor said it's normal for some children not to be potty trained til their 4 years old. Have you talked to her pediatrician about it? My oldest is almost 3 now but she's been potty trained for about 5 months. I made it fun for her to learn and now she'll just tell me she has to go. She's still in pull ups at nap and bedtime. When starting out, I'd take her to the potty once an hour and sit with her for about 15 minutes, if she didn't go then we'd try later. Sometimes she went and sometimes she didn't, but when she did I made a HUGE deal out of it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My 3 year old daughter refuses to use the potty. I just keep changing her diapers, along with her 16 month old brother, all day long. She knows what the potty is and how it works. We have all the books, we've watched the Elmo Potty Time more than I can count. She'll use it when she's ready.

My 16 month old sleeps through the night half the time, the rest of the time he wakes once crying for a bottle of milk. I give it to him and he goes right back to sleep. He drinks water from a sippy all day, but cow's milk from a bottle. I don't think it's a big deal.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had a similar problem with my son at 3 yrs of age. He was potty trained but not house broken. He would stay dry but when he had to go he'd go in the floor. It drove me crazy. We had to put potty chairs in all the rooms. Finally he started to use them and by 3 and a half he'd only use the big boy potty. I breast fed both my sons. With my daughter though I got rid of the bottles and gave her a soft tipped sippy cup. Gradually we broke her of the soft tipped cup and went to a hard sippy at wal-mart.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• take the bottles away period. You don't have them he can't use them. He'll take to a sippy cup.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• no offense, but the common denominator here is you. consistency is probably lacking with what you want the kids to do or learn and they continue to revert to what is comfortable.
    make a decision about the bottle and potty training today and then stick to it. those are kids are only doing what you are allowing them to do.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• BOTTLE . GO COLD TURKEY TURST ME HE WONT LET HIMSLEF GO THIRSTY. IS A 14 MTH OLD COME ON!!! MY DD TURN 1MARCH 15 AND THAT SAME DAY SHE NO LONGER HAD BOTTLES. AS FOR THE POTTY. TRY A REWARD SYSTEM SOME KIDS ARE DIFFICULT TO TRAIN. AM GLAD DD WAS EASY. SHE WAS POTY TRAIN BY 2. I USED REWARDS. I BOUGHT HER BIG GIRL UNDERWARE. ELMO ALSO HAS A POTTY TRAINING VIDEO.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:33 PM on Aug. 13, 2009